Well, I seriously ran out of time to do much of anything for the Sultan’s Tent party. I really had thought about doing a lot more than I did, but in the end time just ran out, and I ended up re-purposing something I’d made for a similar (and named the same) previous event.
So.. the costume included:
- Black harem pants (sheer with a glittery stripe) trimmed in black sequins and silver baubles (not really buttons, not really beads.. somewhere in between). These are gathered with elastic at the ankles and apart from being sheer, are really quite comfortable for short periods of time. I wouldn’t want to walk much in them though, because I have the feeling the fabric would wear quite quickly.
- Black and red PVC bra with a back tie, silver o-rings, red piping, and sheer ribbon lacing. This was a feat of draping and sewing skill! Getting the “laced” parts right, based off an existing bra took quite a lot of time, and a lot of agony to my fingertips. The two cups also lace closed, though I must have lost some weight since I first made it, because when I put it on, I had to tighten up the lacing considerably – and regretted the fact that the lacing has some elastic to it – though it was very nice, comfort-wise.
Fringed scarf (over my belly – it’s actually attached to the bra, but was made as a separate piece) The fringe is layers of black fringe, and it’s topped off with a blue, red, and green tassel-fringe trim. Mostly I like this for the illusion of having a ‘bare’ belly – without actually really showing anything.
- Black fishnet shirt, mostly for coverage. In the original outfit I hung some jewelry from the shirt, but for some odd reason I couldn’t find it this time around. The first time around I wore a purchased fishnet shirt – but this time around I wore one I made instead.
- Tassel-belt in red butterfly brocade that laced together, with skull beads hanging from the tassels.
- and the only new thing… the new headpiece. Originally I wore a coin belt over my head, but at least I had something new for this time around…
It was really nice to have something existing already – so that I didn’t have to freak out about not having anything. I’ve included photos that I took a while ago, when I first made the outfit. The bra doesn’t fit the dressform at ALL, but it gives you an idea of what I was wearing.
Forgive all of the things in the background of these photos!
So, once I wasn’t worried about having an outfit, I could concentrate on doing some cool make up. There had been someone at the party taking photographs, but I hesitate when someone wants to take my photo (for so many reasons) so I declined. Had I known him better I might have asked for a photo or two of my make up in the early stages of the party, because instead I took a photo when I got home – and a lot of the glamour of the make up had worn off.
The photo is edited (of course!) but I lined my eyes in black liquid liner, then highlighted it with liquid metallic blue and copper. There are decorations on my forehead with the blue and copper liner, and a spirit-gum applied stone. I also have a wealth of gold and copper eyeshadow on, and darkened my eyebrows for a stronger ‘frame’ for all that was going on. I contoured around the eye area with copper shadow, and used bronzer elsewhere for contour. I did do sort of an “eye of Horus” curl under the eyes with black liner, but throughout the party they disappeared. The overall look I was going for was something like the lid on an Egyptian sarcophagus. Self-photos are hard to do well at 4am!
On another note – the copper eyeliner came off fairly well, but the black and blue both took 4 different kinds of makeup remover and a lot of time – good liner!