While blog-surfing, I came across textile designer Ruth Singer, and I absolutely loved her Amelia broaches, and after the previous faux felt floral facinator, I wanted to try my hand at another way of using felt for flowers. Unlike Ruth Singer though, I didn’t necessarily want to make a broach – nor did I have access to the gorgeous lambswool/angora/cashmere knitwear for felting to start off with – so I stuck with the old Eco-felt from Fabricland instead – though I like the result enough that I might have a thrift-store shopping trip in my future! (Unless any of my dear friends have a lovely sweater they’ve accidentally shrunk beyond recognition in the wash?)
So, I made my first one in red, with a base of about 3.5″ (about 9cm) in diameter. I tried a few variations in the petal shape as well, and actually was quite happy with all of them. I did some with more petals and some with less – again, using nothing but the Eco-felt. I think this will give me a good idea of what I want to do when I work with different felts. I also did one in a heather -grey (not just the red) which I really love.
I did a separate backing for it (to hide the pin or support and cushion the clip) and stitched or glued them on to make hair pins. I also did another red one a bit smaller (about 6cm in diameter) and put a broach back on that one. My favorite though, I reserved for this facinator.
This has two panels of red French/Russian veiling (the vendor said that the two terms are interchangeable, however I’m not totally sure on that, so I’m using both!) creating a full circle of veiling around the flower. It’s attached to a hair clip, for an adorable little floral facinator! This was a bit time-consuming to make (just due to the hands-sewing) but really cute, and fairly simple too. Hopefully I’ll get a snapshot of it being worn sometime soon! Perhaps I’ll need to make a new one for every day of the millinery class that I’m taking. It starts at the end of the month, and I’m very excited!