Last year I talked about the fabric sale where the proceeds go to the Stephen Lewis Foundation’s Grandmothers to Grandmothers campaign. This year on April 14 I went again.
This time around I didn’t pick up nearly as much as last year… but I still picked up some lovely things – for next to nothing! If I wasn’t so specific about what I like, and love to shop for fabric WAY more frequently than once a year…. it would be financially AMAZING to make this sale my one-stop-shop… Oh..the fact that I can only see about half of what they have because it is so insanely swampped with people in there might also be a bit of a disadvantage…
(This year I didn’t even make it into the yarn area or the quilting area or the crafts area because it was so packed – and because I was dedicated to keep my purchases under 2 bags…)
This year, my ‘haul’ came to the whopping total of $14.50 and I picked up (from bottom up in the photo):
- 4 m of super-soft thin navy blue wool coating
- 3m of striped silvery-blue cotton velvet (which SHOULD match/coordinate with another piece of velvet that I already have)
- 3m of Wedgwood-blue silk noil
- 4m of taupe embroidered cotton (which I will test first, and then likely dye darker)
- 3m of silver fabric striped with dark grey and white. I THINK this is silk, but I need to test it.
- 3m of semi-sheer rose blouse-weight polyester. I picked this one up and put it down three times – and finally grabbed it because it was all of 2$ and how could I deny it? Haha
- 6+/-m of bridal elastic loop trim.
Yep, this time around, unlike last year I mostly kept to my regular colour scheme. Oh, and I’ve hardly used anything that I bought last year. *sighs* (What I did use was for decorations much more than for sewing….. )
This year, I did take a bunch of my OWN de-stashed fabrics to the sale… though doubtfully enough to make room for these new purchases!
If you’re in Calgary – did you get to the sale? Do you know of others like this one that happen around town? If you’re not from Calgary – are there similar sales in your area – super low prices for a good cause? Let me know in the comments below!