Back in October I posted about needing ideas for some holiday gift crafting. I thought I would make up a quick post (now that the holiday gifts have been given…) about what we did!
Originally one individual (I won’t name names, since I don’t know if they would want to be mentioned in the blog or not…) came up with the idea of making cute little decorated candles. I thought that might not really take much time, so I also suggested we make gift tags or holiday cards as well…. Plus I have loads of stamps and punches and other things that are otherwise pretty unused these days…
Well – no one decided to make the candles, (finding the right candles to start out with was probably the biggest hang up to that idea.. but also the person I had thought of giving them to – had decided not to exchange gifts this year…) but we had a great time sharing resources, stickers, papers, stamps, punches and other things to create lots of pretty gift tags.
This wasn’t nearly as ambitious as our cute little meal-in-a-jar gifts we made last year or the bath products we made the year before, but it was fun to get together and be crafty all the same! One of my friends also started brainstorming ideas for NEXT year too.
As a re-cap, the ideal project(s) would be:
- A final projects to give away as nice gifts – or the kind of thing that would be awesome to bring to a holiday party (decoration or consumable, with a preference for consumable)
- More economical to do as a group than solo – with everyone sharing the cost
- Not exceptionally messy (that criteria is for me, who will have to clean up our workspace!)
- Not require any additional tools or skills beyond what we might already have. (That’s the tricky part, since we don’t really know what everyone already has…)
Ideas for next year to consider/brainstorm around
- Decorated gift bags (maybe along with matching tags?)
- Decorated note books
- Microwaveable heat packs (like the magic bags) and hand-warmers
I made a few duplicates of different tags that I liked – but as a bit of a description of the ones that I made (Clockwise from top left):
- A snowflake printed paper with multiple foam (layered) snowflakes in blue and glittery white
- A small tag with red, gold, and green striped paper and a red with gold poinsetta on it
- A larger tag/card with the same green, red, and gold striped paper, a line of holly-berry printed paper, and three flowers – two poinsettas and one gold flower. The reverse (inside) of the striped paper is the holly-berry print
- Another snowflake paper card/tag with a white and blue glittery foam snowflakes.
- Two round cards with a large foam snowflake on one side and glittery blue paper on the other side with a cut out snowflake
- An oval card with a tree “cameo” on it, with blue glitter. I really like the cameos, but I don’t really like the way these ones turned out – I just couldn’t come up with a great way to use the cameos…
If you got something really cute for the holidays that would make a great group-crafting project or if you can think of anything else we could do next year, leave a comment below! (And then we’ll just have to try to remember to look back here next year when we’re planning again!)