On-point Jelly Roll

It seems like ages ago that I first wrote about the half-sized batik jelly rolls that I picked up… it was actually back in December 2011, and although I started the top back then, I only finished not too long ago.

up close - on-point jelly roll quilt

up close – on-point jelly roll quilt

Where it all started

In my various fabric-store wanderings, I kept being attracted to Jelly Rolls – the rolls of narrow strips of fabric pre-made by fabric mills/fabric designers especially for quilters.  I know that at this point, Jelly Rolls are a bit out-of-date, but I’m also late to the quilting party, so bare with me! As much as I liked them, I didn’t love the price point – most of them were in the $40-50 range, which seemed expensive to me (considering I’d also want to pick up coordinating fabrics, etc…) so I held of picking one up for a long time.

Then, when out at a department store, I found much more affordable rolls – only $15 for a variety of batiks including medium blue, bright blue, green, orange, purple, and pink along with a few fabrics with multiple colours dominating the design.  It wasn’t until I got one of them home that I realized that they were only half-sized rolls, so I went back to pick up a second.  (Plus, I wasn’t interested in using all of those colours together in one quilt).

So after a little bit of online searching…

I finally settled on a design and began the quilt top.

Concept for quilt

Concept for quilt

I sewed all my strips, cut them into rectangles, added my sashing and sewed them back together again, turning the patches on-point for a different look. One thing that I didn’t take into account when I translated from my design to the actual sewing… I cut out rectangles -but I drew squares.  When I went to line up the design again and trim it up – things just didn’t work out…

on-point jelly roll quilt

on-point jelly roll quilt

I ended up having to cut down the quilt top more than I had originally planned, (and I ran tight on my border/backing fabric) so my result is a lot smaller than I originally had hoped for, but it’s still cute.  I used the same fabric for the back as the sashing and added in a stripe of some of the leftover batik fabric.  (Partially I did this for more interest on the back, and partially to stretch out my fabric.)  I used a low loft cotton batting, and quilted along one of the diagonal lines after hand-basting the top to the batting and then the top, batting and backing.

on-point jelly roll quilt back

on-point jelly roll quilt back

***photo**

… and there’s still some left over…

Of course, I only used the pinks and purples for this quilt – I still had the blues, oranges, and greens leftover.  I decided to try out the 1600 quilt for this one – I’ll post about that in another post.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s