Migrating purple geese quilt

"Migrating Flying Geese" quilt top in purples, pinks, and greys from the Jelly Roll fabric selection

“Migrating Flying Geese” quilt top in purples, pinks, and greys from the Jelly Roll fabric selection

After getting well under way with the Modified French Braid quilt, I started work on the quilt using the purples and dark pinks from the Moda Jelly Rolls that I had picked up.

Like the other quilt, I got my pattern/idea from Pinterest, rather than going back to the Jelly Roll ideas I had pondered back in December 2011 when I first was interested in Jelly Roll fabric collections. Of course, the problem with just looking at pretty pictures instead of actual quilt patterns, is that I don’t really know the names of any of the patterns, or have any of the techniques – so I sort of have to make them up myself!

I didn’t take a lot of work-in-progress photos, but below is a shot of layering the quilt top, backing, and cotton needle-punch style quilt batting.

layering the top, batting, and backing for the 'migrating purple geese' quilt

layering the top, batting, and backing for the ‘migrating purple geese’ quilt

I did use a bit of wash-out basting spray, but I also hand-basted the top to the batting, and then the back to the batting and top. So that I wouldn’t miss basting in a particular area, I did the first round of basting in one colour, and then the second round of basting in an alternate colour.

basting the 'migrating purple geese' quilt

basting the ‘migrating purple geese’ quilt

The backing of the quilt is another print from Benartex’s “London Cats” collection. It’s pattern #4004, and is a dark purple ground, with ombre oval dots – alternating a tan-white dot and a pink-white dot. Along with the pinks and purples from the Jelly Roll, I added in a few pink/purple prints, along with a great mottled grey fabric with grey polka-dots. I love this fabric! I really need to find more of it actually (for a different project – wish me luck on that!).

For the binding, I did the method folding the backing fabric to the front of the quilt.  This means that I didn’t have to stitch in the ditch (like I would have had to with the Modified French Braid quilt if I had done it by machine), and it was much less stitching. I FAR prefer this method to the binding method for sure! (And yep, Pinterest helped out with this one too!)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s