Since going super-blond/white blond, I have had a few friends and acquaintances ask how I was able to bleach my hair to this degree, while still retaining the length and relative health of my hair. (As in.. it doesn’t feel like straw all the time.) Rather than try to remember all of the products I’ve used, I figured I’d make up a short post as a follow up to my Purposefully White Hair post a while back. (And yep.. other than semi-regular trims, I haven’t had to cut my hair at all since bleaching the heck out of it!)
Shampoo and conditioner
I use two different kinds of shampoo & conditioner – one is for toning (keeping the brassy yellows out of my hair and keeping it white-blond) and the other is for condition/texture – basically to keep it looking and feeling healthy (even if it isn’t!)
- Joico Colour Endure Violet Shampoo – this is a dark purple sulfate-free shampoo for toning blond or grey hair. The staff clerk who advised me said that it’s a bit drying though… I haven’t had a problem with it – but I always use conditioner too. I picked this up at Chatters.
- Shimmer Lights Shampoo & Conditioner – these are products also intended for “blonde & silver” hair. They are both purple as well, to tone the hair and get rid of the brassiness. I think they’re good, but I don’t like the way they smell at all; they smell sort of earthy or chalky. I picked these up at Sally’s Beauty Supply.
- Ion Smooth Solutions Keratin Smoothing Shampoo, Conditioner, and Masque – these are protein products, intended to repair and smooth hair. I use the masque maybe once every two-three weeks, leaving it on for 5 minutes or so. I bought these at Sally’s Beauty Supply.
All of the toning shampoos and conditioners don’t actually mean I get to stop toning my hair though with my own home-made dye+conditioner concoction to actually keep it WHITE (or pale lavender). If I don’t do that extra treatment, my hair goes back to being just super-light blond instead.
- Joico K-Pak Colour Therapy Restorative Styling Oil – I love this stuff a hundred times more than the Moroccan Oil or Coconut Oil that I was using before I picked this stuff up… it seems to leave my hair soft and manageable, but much less oily than the other products. It also smells really good! I picked up my supply (three containers, one for my room, one for my bathroom, and one for traveling) at Wal-Mart.
- Joico K-Pak Restorative Liquid Reconstructor – this is a leave-in spray-on product… and honestly – I don’t love it nearly as much as the next one. I got it at Wal-Mart as well, but it seemed kind of pricy.
- Live Clean Exotic Nectar Argan Oil leave-in conditioner spray – this leave-in spray is much nicer than the K-Pak for my hair, and I use it all the time to smooth my hair. It smells good too. (I’ve also duped it by mixing coconut oil, water, and lavender essential oil in a leftover container and using that too, which was actually almost as nice, and would have been cheaper too….)
What are your tips and tricks?
So.. if you’re thinking of going white-blond, super blond, white, or silver… maybe some of these products will help! Share some of your must-have products or techniques in the comments below!