Hopefully if you are in Calgary, you had the chance to get to the Ujamaa Grandmothers fabric sale this year. I mentioned it at the beginning of April, and marked my calendar as soon as I heard about the dates!
I went on the Friday, rather than waiting until Saturday, right after work. Even though I got there half-an-hour before doors opened, I arrived to already a really long line – down the Church’s sidewalk, and down the public sidewalk almost to the driveway. By the time the doors opened, there were probably another 50 people behind me too!
I thought I’d share some of my “finds” here, as I have done in the past as well.
- 7.2 meters of navy stretch velvet
- 1.5 meters of purple/red striped (cotton/poly?)
- 1.6 meters of silver/black faux ostrich pleather
- 1.6 meters of small-print black pleather
- 6.5 meters of sheer purple vine print (silk/rayon devore?)
- 2.5 meters of gold (with a bit of a green/brown undertone) velvet (silk?)
- 1.2 meters of purple stretch velvet
- 6 meters of black dupioni silk
- 2.9 meters of blue/grey herringbone (wool?)
- 4.4 meters of white and tan silk noil
- 3 meters of black and cream border print slinky knit
- 2.3 meters of black silk noil
- 1.8 meters of blue/metallic green cross-dye fabric
- 2.4 meters of blue/cream figured velvet home dec fabric
Plus, from the notions room I also picked up three bags – each bag was a dollar, and contained an assortment of things.
The first bag had:
- 2.2 meters of red/beige woven braid beaded with red bugle beads and silver sequins (it looks a lot more subtle than it sounds, and was what I picked up the bag for)
- 1.25 meters of red satin ribbon with a gold and red beaded fringe
- 1.1 meters of purple satin ribbon with a purple and silver beaded fringe
- 1 meter of brown gimp trim with a fringe of brown and cream wooden beads
The second bag had:
- 1.2 meters of red, white, green and yellow woven flowered trim
- 2.4 meters of narrow black woven flowered trim with pink and green
- 1.8 meters of damaged floral woven trim in metallic silver, teal, and magenta – I’ll probably throw this out.
- Some partially damaged white petersham ribbon – I’ll have to look at this more later and throw out the damaged portion.
- Over a meter of tacky, old-fashioned yellow and white acrylic yarn trim – this will likely be given away too
- Over a meter of pink cotton lace trim
- a meter of pink, white, and metallic gold woven trim
- 5 meters of black, white, and red woven trim, with a very simple and nordic-style pattern. This is what I bought the bag for.
The third bag was kind of wacky, and included a bunch of sewing machine “parts”. They included:
- Two packages of invisible zipper presser feet
- Two even-feed walking presser feet – what I bought the bag for – I don’t have one of these yet – one of them fits my machine and the other doesn’t
- A zipper/piping presser foot – which doesn’t fit my machine
- A blind-hem presser foot – which doesn’t fit my machine
- A presser foot for pintucks – which doesn’t fit my machine
- An overcast presser foot for a serger – which doesn’t fit my serger unfortunately 😦
- Some sewing machine lubricant (which I threw out)
- An attachment for sewing circles (which is cool because I was just thinking about getting one!)
- A bunch of parts that I think are either to mount a lamp – or are for an embroidery machine….
- A flex-style darning/free-motion pressure foot (versus the coil/spring-style)
- An adjustable seam guide – you screw it into the plate of the machine and then fabric butts up against it to maintain an even distance. This doesn’t fit on my machine either.
Then there was one piece.. I don’t know what it is!
It is a vaguely triangle-shaped piece of metal with two ends folded in. I feel like it’s meant to fold fabric somehow – but I don’t really know. Do you recognize it?
Do you know what the parts I think are for an embroidery machine are for?
In total.. I spent about $42.00! Crazy right?! I didn’t even look in the quilting area either, and only skimmed the yarn, patterns, books, crafts, and home-dec areas. My arms were just too heavy with everything I’d already picked out!
If you made it to the sale this year – what did you get?