Well.. I really WANTED to do the #17 Challenge for the Historical Sew Fortnightly. I’ve been trying to do every second challenge, since I’m also trying to do some other sewing, take a few classes, work full time and all the rest – but this one just refused to come together.
I’ll admit, I don’t really LIKE the colour yellow. It doesn’t suit me, it’s too bold for regular wear, and the challenge was to use yellow as the main colour – not just as a tiny accent on something.
“#17: Yellow – due Mon 15 September. Embrace the sunny side with something in any shade of yellow.”
But, on Pinterest I found a photo… I loved it.. and it was gold (that’s like yellow!) velvet – oh.. and did I happen to mention that at the last Grandmother’s fabric sale I picked up some gold silk velvet?
I wanted to make this dress:
(If the linked url doesn’t work, it’s http://www.pinterest.com/pin/290200769710207332/)
So, I drafted up the pattern – laid it out – and I didn’t have enough fabric. I bemoaned the fact for a while on Facebook, tried to come up with some other plan to make it work (make it shorter, substitute in another fabric..) I even auditioned a number of possible lining/coordinating fabrics in hopes of making it work – but it just wouldn’t work.
Still – I hoped. I had some purple velvet along with a recent purchase of some similarly-toned purple fabric to coordinate with it – so I used that to do a mock-up… I was hoping that I would discover that I’d drafted the pattern far too large and I would be able to make the dress in gold after all – nope. Fits perfectly (or at least so far, I’m not quite done yet..)
Oh well. Maybe I’ll just have to keep my eyes out for another meter of gold silk velvet…