I promise this won’t become a beauty blog – but I joined ipsy not too long ago and thought that I’d share a few thoughts & reviews with you in case you’re interested in subscribing too.
For those of you who don’t know what ipsy is.. you subscribe (often following a link like that, to give “points” to anyone who referred you..) for $10/month (US$.. it’s about $15 for us Canadians…) and each month they send you a little bag with 4-5 samples of different products in it. The idea is that you do a little quiz in advance and let them know your skin tone, personal style, etc, so that the samples are a bit more specific to you and your beauty style. You can change your answers to get different things for future too if your style changes, or they way they interpret your quiz results in you getting things you don’t really like…
From there they get pretty spammy if you ask me – you’re asked to rate, review, talk about, post about… every. little. thing. through your social channels (Twitter, Facebook, & Instagram right now) for “points” (Well, you get points for Facebook & Twitter, I don’t think you get any points for posting on Instagram). Accumulate a mountain of points, and you can get a free lip gloss or something. It didn’t seem worth it to me to annoy my friends with their automated posts.
Right now for 500 points you can get a lipgloss, or for 1,000 points an eyeliner. Right now after being part of ipsy for 3 months I have 110 points…. it’s going to take a while to get that lipgloss…
The products from ipsy – Review
But, apart from their spammy marketing, some of the samples are cute… which is what this post is REALLY about.
1) Coolway Boost Repair Treatment – 1oz of a deep-conditioner with a fancy name. It smells good though, but isn’t any different as far as I can see from my regular Ion deep conditioner. 3/10 wouldn’t buy
My December ipsy bag
2) Crown Brush infinity shadow/crease duet brush – I don’t have a double-ended brush for a reason – I store my (dry) brushes upright in a container. This one is going to get squished. Still I was pretty happy to see it in my bag, because I clicked off “tools” on my wish-list, and hadn’t seen anything in my previous bags. I gave it a try, and found it nice and soft, and it spread my eyeshadow nicely. I’ll likely keep it in my office bag, to avoid keeping it at home upright. 6/10 likely wouldn’t buy a double-ended again.
3) Nyx Cosmetics Butter Lip Balm in Red Velvet – Loved the idea behind this – but there was no scent or flavour to this lip balm.. but there is colour – like a low-gloss lipgloss rather than a ‘smear on anywhere, without a mirror’ balm. Still, I got it the exact same day my lip balm at work ran out, and I was planning to replace it, so I’ll replace it with this & try to remember to check the mirror before heading to a meeting… it’s a pretty nice colour too – a little more ‘hot pink’ than red, but still sheer enough that it doesn’t matter too much. 7/10 might buy again
4) Pixi by Petra Fairy Dust in Brightening Bare – ok.. this is supposed to be “Illuminating powder pigments give concentrated glow & enhancing colour instantly!” – Illuminating to me means “highlighter” which means it should be lighter than my skin tone. This is actually just slightly darker. I might be able to use it as a highlighter in the summer if I have a (fake) tan though. It’s only a 0.02 oz container though, so it won’t last long. 1/10 probably won’t even use
5) Tarte delux lights camera lashes 4-in-1 mascara – I’m nervous opening up mascara that isn’t sealed – anyone else? It smells ok, but still… they really should send these plastic-wrapped or with one of those perforated stickers or something. This mascara claims to offer “lengthening, curling, volumizing, and conditioning” (grammatical mistake theirs) but honestly, I haven’t tried it yet. I’ll probably throw it into my travel case for when that super-tiny bottle (0.01 oz) won’t matter for a few days. I usually really like Tarte though, so maybe that’s why I feel conflicted. 2/10 might not even use
The case – I’d say this is an ok case – I wouldn’t buy one like this, but it would be useful for tossing a few things in for overnight or organizing my backpack or something. The zipper pull has a keychain on it too which is kind of nice – not that I’d really want a heart-shaped plastic ipsy keychain though!