Last month I shared my December Ipsy surprise, and today I’d like to share with you what I received for my $17.00 (Canadian) for January!
- Probably the best thing in my package is this fine liner brush from Real Techniques (http://realtechniques.com/shop-collection/fine-liner-brush). I just really like getting tools, since I keep wanting to cycle through my tools and get rid of ones that just aren’t working/holding up to cleaning/etc. I don’t really use much pot eyeliner though, so although I only have one, super old liner brush, I’ve never bothered replacing it. Here’s hoping next time we get an eyebrow brush – that’s the one thing I have that keeps getting wrecked and I have to throw them out. (The brush stands up, it’s the tiny eyelash comb that always breaks on me…)So – the brush itself – it seems pretty good. As fortune would have it (or good planning) my Ipsy order also came with a little pot of gel eyeliner, so I got to put the brush to the test right away. It cleaned up fast too which was nice.9/10 – I’d buy this again (oh yeah.. and it’s purple for those purple-loving eyeliner-wearers)
- As mentioned above, I also received a little pot of J.Cat Beauty Fantabulous gel eyeliner (http://jcatbeauty.com/gel-jar-eye-liner) in my order. I tested it out right away and it went on fairly smooth, and cleaned up nicely from my brush. It’s supposed to be black I think, but it tapers out to more of a navy… which isn’t bad actually.7/10 – while the product seems good, I likely wouldn’t buy it again, since I rarely wear gel eyeliner. However if you DO wear gel eyeliner, I’d recommend giving it a whirl.
- On the topic of eyes… I also received a little sample tube of Nourish Organic Avocado and Argan Oil eye cream (http://nourishorganic.com/). I don’t tend to use eye cream actually – I don’t know, I guess I generally feel that my fairly mild face lotion does the job most of the time, and a lot of eye creams seem to bother my eyes more than I’d like them to.This cream seemed pretty good though – there was little or no noticeable fragrance (good!) and it went on smoothly. It wasn’t overly oily or dry to that “sticky” consistency that I’ve found some eye creams and lotions do. I did notice a slight “tight” feeling – though that might just have been me that day… need to drink more water!8/10 – Might buy again
Through January 31 Nourish Organic is offering 30% off all their products by using an Ipsy coupon code. Check it out here: http://nourishorganic.com/pages/ipsy-offer
- When my friend posted her preview of her Ipsy order (I don’t post mine on Facebook; I figure for the small amount of “points” you get for doing it, compared to what you need to order something, it isn’t worth the spam to my news feed) she commented on “yet another champagne eyeshadow” and since I got the Pacifica eye shadow too – I agree.In the pot it looks like a champagne colour – very light, very bland… and – well. It is. The colour (Ethereal) is actually a bit more silvery on me than just champagne, but it’s very boring, and too light for me for a neutral. The packaging also seems “cheap” – white plastic with a fairly loose-fitting flip cap. I don’t know… it just feels like something your grandmother would give you for Christmas…
The product goes on ok though – blends fairly well, and doesn’t flake in the pan like some do.5/10 – while the product is ok, the packaging seems low-quality, and the colour is a bore. Wouldn’t buy again. (Check out the Pacifica eye shadows here: http://www.pacificabeauty.com/natural-makeup/eyes/eye-shadow)
- Next – the bag – yep, the bag actually makes the list before the final sample item, what’s that going to tell you about #6?
Boring ugly bag. White and blue cross-hatched vinyl flat bag. Ick. I far prefer a flat-bottom bag that can sit on a counter or shelf. This will likely be relegated to the charity bin, because I can’t think of any use for it in or outside of my make-up cabinet.3/10 – probably won’t use.
- So the last item is Manna Kadar’s Sheer Glo Shimmer Lotion. (http://www.mannakadarcosmetics.com/manna-sheer-glow.html) It’s just a tiny tube, which is fine; it’s not like anyone needs tons of highlighter! BUT… it doesn’t show up. This is just so not-concentrated that it shows up as a pink blob on my fingers, and once smeared on my skin (ahaha don’t I paint a pretty picture?) it completely disappears. I know how to use highlighter too – it’s not like I was putting it in the wrong spot – it just is so watered-down that any highlighting effect it might have had is totally lost.The website says that this product is: “Sheer Glo is an incandescent liquid that lights up skin with all over radiance. Mix with foundation or wear alone to provide a luminous glow for all skin types. An especially amazing product for mature or dry skin. Sheer Glo provides a youthful glow and dewy finish. Use on face and/or body and get glowing.”Just nope.1/10 – useless.
So, there’s my review! If you’re an Ipsy subscriber, what did you get this time around, and what did you think of it? Let me know in the comments below…
On another note – if you are an Ipsy subscriber – what do you do with all of your bags that you have collected over the months? Do you give them away? Use them as bags for work/gym/school/purse/travel make-up and other things you need? Keep them at home and store different things in each? (Neutral make up in one, party make up in another…) I’m wondering if over some time I’ll just end up with so many that I’m never going to use for make-up that I’ll run out of things to do with them!
If you’re interested in subscribing to Ipsy, and have liked my review, consider clicking This Link – if you subscribe because of my referral, I’ll get points towards free samples, which is kind of cool, right?
If you want to read my December review, check it out here.