This is another post showing samples from the ‘big project’ I mentioned earlier… This time around I wanted to try two different materials for making Viking Knit (Trichinopoly) chain that I haven’t used before, but are perhaps somewhat closer to what was used in period.
This time I used brass (instead of bronze) and silver wire.
Before going through the draw-plate, the silver chain was about 11.5 cm long, while the brass chain was about 12.5 cm long.
Both of these were ‘looped’ up in single-knit, because I wanted the chain to loop up quickly because these were just for samples, and wanted the chain to be flexible.
After going through the draw-plate, the silver chain was 22.5 cm, while the brass chain was about 19.5 cm. The draw-plate size was the smaller of the ones I have, at a diameter of about 6 cm.
For my display, I just curled the ends of the silver wire and looped them together and pinned it to the display frame. I may keep this as-is, or perhaps make up the chain into a finished piece of jewellery.
For the brass chain, I made a loop with brass wire for one end,and attached the other to a makeshift brass needlecase. I stuffed the needlecase with undyed wool as I’ve seen done by others attempting to re-create period needlecases.
Oh.. yes.. display…
If you’ve noted the tags on this, the ‘big project’ was part of an A&S competition for my local SCA barony. More about that coming soon!