November 2015 Historical Sew Monthly – Silver Screen

Blue wool apron dress over a green wool underdress

Blue wool apron dress over a green wool underdress

For November 2015 the Historical Sew Monthly challenge is:

November – Silver Screen  : Be inspired by period fashions as shown onscreen (film or TV), and recreate your favourite historical costume as a historically accurate period piece.

This was another really challenging … erm… challenge for me. As many folks know, I don’t really tend to watch a lot of TV or movies. True, when I do, they’re frequently costume dramas, but nothing really jumped out at me; I either wanted to create something straight out of the movie… or knew that the film costumes weren’t super-accurate, and wasn’t inspired enough to then go and make something based on it… Conundrum!

I originally thought of making a Chemise à la Reine, but then basically ran out of time, and inspiration as well – since there aren’t a lot of places to wear such a thing, and by the time I got around to this challenge it was well into winter.. and light frothy linen wasn’t really on my agenda.

So.. once again I went Norse.

Blue wool apron dress over a green wool underdress

Blue wool apron dress over a green wool underdress

I needed to make some woolen Norse garments, and so for this challenge I submit the underdress and apron dress I blogged about in the last two posts.

More information on the underdress here.

More information on the overdress here.

The cap I’m wearing I made a while back, and I blogged about here.

 

 

Historical Sew Monthly

Direct link from FanPop

The Challenge: November – Silver Screen  : Be inspired by period fashions as shown onscreen (film or TV), and recreate your favourite historical costume as a historically accurate period piece.

When I first got interested in costuming from the Viking Age, the majority of my early inspiration came from the SCA and movies and tv shows – in particular the really awesome show Vikings – which from everything I’ve subsequently learned, is incredibly inaccurate in terms of costuming (not to mention a bunch of other things….)  I’ve learned so much more in the past two years or so, and am sure that years from now I’ll learn even more to make my costumes even more period-informed.

Fabric: 100% wool – tabby weave and twill weave. Trimmed in 100% silk, tabby weave and herringbone weave. All weaves are period-correct. Fabrics were commercially woven and dyed.

Pattern: self-drafted

Year: in the style of 11th Century Norse (generic)

Notions: thread

How historically accurate is it? The fibre content and weave is historically informed. The pattern is speculative.

Hours to complete: Unsure. I never remember to record this.

First worn: Yule celebration in Edmonton, December 2015 (the photos were taken in the bedroom of the B&B after the event).

Total cost: The wool was about 95$ plus tax, but I have leftovers for other projects. The silk was leftovers from other projects, but it’s probably about 10$ worth.

Green wool underdress

Green wool underdress

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s