Before starting on a much bigger project involving block-printing, I wanted to try out the technique with the blocks that I bought from an Etsy seller. I also wanted to swap out the bright green nylon tote bag I’ve been using to bring stuff to A&S classes and meetings with something that looked-and-felt a little bit more appropriate (even if it’s not actually historically-informed).
With some wool fabric from a friend who was de-stashing, I made a simple tote (pretty much the same shape as my green bag) and block-printed with gold acrylic paint mixed with textile medium. A pretty simple project, but I’m happy with the result, and it helped make me more confident to move onto the larger block-printing project!
The bag itself is wool, however I made the straps from leftover medium-weight linen, because the straps will be less prone to stretching… and because I didn’t have quite enough wool!