When I made my skull-print circle skirt last year, I really wanted to make it up again. I was actually itching to use some gorgeous bronze taffeta I had (but have mentally reserved for a Steampunk gown) so I held off… and then I found some gorgeous black/blue shot fabric on sale at Fabricland, so picked it up for this skirt.
Oddly enough – I had to re-draft the circle…. I couldn’t find my original pattern, but it’s not a big deal, it’s just a quarter of a circle, so it drafted up fast.
The fabric on the other hand…gave me quite a fuss. It’s insanely off-grain. I washed it, tried straightening it, and ripped it to get the true grain.. and it STILL was off-grain. Nothing seemed to work. I would have been super annoyed if I had bought it regular price, or had intended to make something more fitted out of it, but for a circle skirt it shouldn’t make TOO big of a difference – other than being a pain to cut out!
Seriously… look how off-grain it was, comparing where the clerk at Fabricland cut the fabric, and where it ripped…. Terrible. This is why I HATE it when clerks cut fabric that really should be torn…
I cut the fabric with two seams only, did a wide cased elastic waist band, and trimmed the hem with a band of navy tulle to make it floaty and pretty – without adding extra weight or having to force the circle into a regular hem.
I haven’t worn the skirt yet – I feel a bit put-off by how difficult the fabric was, so I might have to get over that before falling in love with my new skirt….