I’m still looking for suitable brooches for my Italian costume, and saw these pendants on Fire Mountain Gems, so bought two to make brooches with. They aren’t quite right, but they’ll make good alternatives into my bling box.
The original pendant is on the left – a diamond with a rhinestone-covered cross and five large rhinestones.
I removed the rhinestones (most came out ok – but some broke as I was taking them out). The rhinestones are all glass, not plastic.
Since pearls (artificial and not) were so popular, I opted to replace the four large rhinestones with pearls. I used 8mm potato pearls (real pearls, but not totally spherical) from Michael’s. These worked really well because the potato pearls have a smaller one side than the other side, which fit in well into the space for the rhinestone. They are all uneven though – which doesn’t really bother me at all.
I used D3000 glue to afix the pearls – this is the “sticks to anything” glue I’ve used to glue all sorts of materials.
The pendant bail also presents a bit of a challenge; I couldn’t simply cut them off. I opted to suspend a teardrop-shaped pearl (artificial) from the bail, and then glued a spherical round (artificial) pearl into the bail. The round pearl is a bit smaller than the potato pearls, but has a similar colour and lustre.
When the glue was dry, I flipped the pendant-brooch over, and used the same glue-everything D3000 to afix a brooch pin to the back of the jewel.
I suspect that I might need to add a re-enforcing strip to the brooch back, but I haven’t worn these yet to find out.