In my previous post I showed off the corner fan-shaped motifs for my coil-embellished apron. Today I’ll show how I made the grid motifs which are a square or diamond (depends on if they’re displayed on point or not).
The grid-style ornaments start out by stretching out divided sections of coils. More about that in my previous post about finishing coils. I used the small-diameter coils for this work. The original extant aprons and mantles used more than one size of coil for embellishment.
The small grid ornament took eight strips of five coil bundles, and four small coil pieces.
The small division areas work to line up the coil strips and let me thread the linen yarn through the coils to fix them together. (below) I used a double strand of linen yarn, and left a long tail at the beginning of the work.
In the extant photos of coil ornaments, the little crosses are visible between the coil bundles, showing that this is how they were made.
After threading the coils into shape, I went through and smoothed the edges of the coil strips. I found this hard to do when the coils were loose, without distorting the coils, but once they were strung up this was much easier.
Just going through in one direction makes the ornament a bit `floppy`, so I also went back and went through the grid in both directions. This results in quite a sturdy ornament. I also finished the corners with small coil sections.
I left the working yarns on the ornament after weaving them through the coils to attach the spiral motif to the apron.
The large square/diamond grid ornament was made in the same manner, except I used 14 strips of coils 8-bundles long. (Below)