While sewing up the drab grey-green wool underdress and the dried herb linen underdress I also cut out and sewed up a black and white wool coat. I got this fabric for free from a former teacher who was de-stashing! It’s not a document-able weave, but it’s basically a striped tabby weave, where the stripes of black and white yarn create “O” shapes on one side and “H” shapes on the reverse. I opted to use the “O” shapes on the outside.
The coat is basically the same pattern as the houndstooth wool coat that I made a while back, though I re-sized it to make it a bit smaller. Luckily I had lots of fabric this time, so could make the hem a bit more flared than that coat. I love the way that coat fits, and how warm it is, so I’m hoping I’ll end up loving this one just as much.
The weave also made it super-easy to cut out the pieces as well….
View this post on Instagram
While two new green #Viking under dresses hang out, I'm cutting into some beautiful gifted #wool to make a new #garb coat #busyDay #busyDawn #sewing #DIY #costume #SCA #Norse (the under dresses are one "dried herb" #linen from an online linen store, and the previously posted drab green wool from #Fabricland)
I trimmed the coat with some blue silk leftover from my blue silk sideless surcoat – there was JUST enough to trim the coat, but it’s nice and crisp.