Complete Tarpus with the Hirka
The third item I made for my Ottaman costume was a hat – the Tarpus, described from my overview as:
“Tarpus: tall pointed or pillbox hat”
I spent a fair amount of time looking at different hat styles, trying to figure out what kind of hat I wanted to make. There was a pillbox hat with a scarf over it, the scarf worn alone with a headband, a chunky hat, a tall pillar hat, and then also a super-crazy hat that I would LOVE to make….
Completed Istanbul outfit
After starting on the Hirka, the next garment I wanted to make for my late-period Turkish costume was the Entari, described from my overview as:
“Medium-weight A or bell-shaped coat. Fitted to the waist and shaped with side gores with an overlapping front gore. Usually floor-length. Round or v-neck. Closed down the front with small buttons and loops or long frogs. Often depicted unbuttoned from neckline to chest and waist to floor. Most often with wide, elbow-length sleeves, though also shown narrow and wrist-length. Occasionally extremely long maunche-like sleeves with slits. Most often made of silk, lined in cotton. Rarely trimmed, but the inside edge was often faced with silk.”
Since my Hirka was bright orange-pink (shot fabric) lined with coral, I wanted something equally bright for my Entari. I originally planned on using the hot pink silk noil I picked up at the Grandmother’s Fabric Sale in Red Deer, but I didn’t think I had enough of it to accommodate the large side gores as well.
I opted instead to select some hot pink linen that I picked up at a different Grandmother’s Fabric Sale (I think… I might have also got it free from a former teacher). Like the Hirka, I decided to block print this as well with a similar motif.
Finished Hirka (orange vest)
Since the majority of information I could find about Istanbul clothing from within the SCA time frame is 15th and 16th century, I decided to default and go that direction, starting with the Hirka, described from my overview as:
“Very fitted thigh-length under-jacket, worn over the Gomlek. May have wide, elbow-length sleeves, long, wrist-length sleeves, or may be sleeveless. “
I LOVED how bright and bold my Constantinople / Byzantine costume (11th century) was, and decided to take advantage of doing something outside of my regular time/place and doing something just as bright and bold.
While my fabric choices should be smooth silks and linens (and wools) I decided to tap into my stash of dupioni silk because it’s something I already have, and will print well.
I had some BRIGHT pink-shot-orange silk that I started with for the Hirka, which I decided to do sleeveless since I didn’t have a lot of the silk.
I also decided to block print it….
Raspberry Duchess Satin corset with curvy seams, padded hips – an experimental design (Photo taken without flash)
I’m calling this a Throwback Thursday because this is actually a corset I made a while ago (so I don’t have any work-in-progress photos either). I made this to sell, back when I was hoping to get commissions for custom work (I’m not looking to do custom work anymore).
A bit about this corset:
This is an underbust corset made of Raspberry Duchess Satin. It’s not quite pink enough to be pink, not quite red enough to be a real red.. so… Raspberry! Duchess Satin is the same material frequently used for wedding dresses and bridesmaid’s dresses – it’s a thick fabric with a low-luster, but very elegant.
My sunshade at June Crown with A&S activities
As I write this, I’m feeling rather down and disappointed in (SCA) June Crown, and what I was able to do for A&S at the event. I understand fully that the nature of the event is strongly focused on the Crown Tournament where the Royal Heirs were determined by heavy combat – but I was really hoping in more enthusiastic participation from the A&S community at the event 😦