When I got some free fabric from a former teacher, I put this snakeskin knit into the “to make toilles with” box – it’s always nice to have some knit that I don’t really love that I can use to mock up patterns with to test fit…
But… after making some shorts and leggings (which I’ll blog about later… still need to take photos!) with it, it kind of grew on me. Not for every-day, but rather for 80s nights or theme parties… and there was a dress I wanted to make out of a similar fabric, so it was a good time to use this for the toile – a wearable toile if the pattern worked out.
The pattern is a 0-ease princess seamed pattern, made from the bodice block I made just before. (Check that out here) The neckline and armholes are bound with spandex ‘wetlook’ fabric – kind of a PVC look. The same fabric binds the hem in a wide band (inspired by the dresses by designer My Little Halo), and I used to bind the front lacing panel.
I used my press to install three -piece grommets (the grommets, their matching washer, and then a plastic washer which helps support the grommet, especially with knits), and laced it up with paracord.
And a close up of the lacing:
Then… onto making the dress that I had originally in mind! (stay tuned for that one…)
Oh.. and the music I was listening to while drafting and sewing… (lots of swears in this one…)