At the Festival of the Snow Eaters
Incipient Shire of Windwyrm
133 3rd St, Box 22, Shaughnessy, Alberta T0K 2A0
This event will be held in the town of Shaughnessy, 30 minutes north of Lethbridge.
October 28, 29, 30, 2016
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/685205594989219/
For the Festival of the Snow Eaters in Windwyrm, the autocrat (and A&S defender), Ingamar of Ravenheim wishes to host a Dirty Half-Dozen Largess Challenge. I’ve offered to help with this (as she’ll doubtlessly have a LOT on her plate already!)
Each competitor should donate 7 individual items for Largess. These can be 7 of all the same item, or 7 items on a common theme. More than 7 items will of COURSE be welcome, though more than 7 items will not get ‘extra points’. (6 would be a half-dozen… 7 is what makes it ‘dirty’…)
Schedule of intention:
- 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon on the 29th – Competitors drop off largess in the A&S room (this was originally 9-12, but there will be another group using the A&S room from 9-11am)
- 12:00 noon – 1:00 p.m. (approx) – Entries will be “judged” by volunteer judges (TBD)
- 3:00-4:00 p.m. – Competitors should return to the A&S room to select one item from all of those donated as their thank-you for entering and their donation. Competitors can select any item that appeals to them and that they could use/appreciate.
- Court – winners in the below prize categories announced
Thank you? What does this mean?
Essentially, each competitor will have the option to select one item from another donor as a ‘thank you’ for their donation. In theory, this means you will donate 7 items, and 6 will go to Their Majesties. However, entrants can select one of ANY item.
Schedule of… intention?
The schedule may change based on the needs of the autocrat and Their Majesties. It is my intention to follow this general format, however details are subject to change.
In addition to the thank-you largess, there will be three prize categories as determined by our judges. Categories include:
- Youth largess (donated by, or for the Youth of Avacal)
- “Snow”-themed largess (largess with the theme of ice, snow, etc…)
- Wild card! (a random draw where anyone could win!)
A small prize will be donated by the Avacal Kingdom A&S Champion (me! teehee) for each of the prize categories.
In the event that there aren’t enough entrants in each category, the judges may opt to select winners in fewer categories.
All largess should be tagged (in a method that would not be easily torn off through normal packaging and transportation) with the:
- donor’s name
- home barony or shire
- the Kingdom of Avacal
- and if needed, a description of the item, and any possible allergens/ingredients/materials.
Distance submissions & eligibility
If you are unable to attend the Festival of the Snow Eaters, you are still welcome to enter! Send your largess down with a trusted friend who would be willing to set up your largess for you, and collect your thank-you largess and prize if you win on your behalf.
- Both members of the SCA and those without membership cards are welcome to enter.
- Residents of the Kingdom of Avacal are welcome to compete, along with any guests we might have from outside of our kingdom.
- Youth (supervised by an adult parent/guardian) are welcome to donate and compete.
As our King & Queen travel across the lands of Avacal and beyond, largess should be:
- easily transportable
- not easily breakable
- not quickly perishable
- representing the skills and generosity of Avacal
A specific list of Largess ideas has been compiled by Bronwyn the Everpresent, and can be read on the Avacal A&S group on Facebook.
Largess does NOT just have to be things you’ve made yourself – they can be purchased items as well. Largess items should have a ‘look-and-feel’ representing our modern middle ages, but do not need to be exclusively period-informed. They can also be mundane items of use to those of us involved in the SCA.
Need more ideas? There is a Largess Maker’s group on Facebook for the SCA in general: https://www.facebook.com/groups/121369587947475/ the Dirty Dozen Donation Derby may also be inspiring: https://www.facebook.com/groups/520009888022124/ and if you use Pinterest a search for Largess can also give interesting ideas.
Packing up for Festival of the Snow Eaters #SCA on Saturday. I have my Fiber Guild taxes, entries for the largesse challenge I'm hosting and of course lots and lots of prizes! #WindWyrm #SocietyForCreativeAnachronism #reenactorsOfInstagram #livingHistory https://m.facebook.com/events/685205594989219