A&S display at Avacal Sergeant Trials
I’m helping to host Samhain on November 5, 2016 in Montengarde (Calgary) – an SCA event where we’ll have a Bardic championship… and I’m hosting an Apprentices Tournament.
Like the Squires and Cadets’ tournaments we’re accustomed to, this competition will be open to all Apprentices, but also to anyone who wishes to be ‘Apprentice for a day’, and is sponsored by a Laurel.
Project categories include:
- Anything from the 7th Century
- Anything Irish
- Recent work (any time period, any culture)
This is a single-entry tournament, and entrants can enter any work that has not previously been entered at the Baronial or higher level of competition.
- Previously displayed works that were not part of a competition are acceptable.
- Unfinished works are welcome, as long as they are far enough along to discuss and evaluate.
Documentation is limited to one page, typed. Bullet points acceptable.
The tournament will run in a roundtable format where contestants will sit in on one another’s discussions along with interested individuals and judges. The goal of this is for a collaborative, supportive opportunity to discuss your work and share suggestions for future work.
A&S display at Avacal Sergeant Trials – focus on my naalbinding
Pre-registration is required.
Email Montengarde’s A&S Champion, Drífa at lækjamoti at: champion_of_artsci [at] avacal [dot org] with:
- Society name
- Phonetic pronunciation of your society name
- Project name and category (see categories above)
- Sponsor Laurel’s name (and phonetic pronunciation)
Pre-registration is required a minimum of 10 days in advance. Please title your email “Apprentice’s Tournament”.
Need to be sponsored?
Several Avacal Laurels have offered to sponsor through conversations online for those who live in more distant shires and baronies where there may not be many/any active Laurels. Laurels and their apprentice-for-the-day can establish for themselves what kind of support is needed/offered. This should give those who do not have a Laurel the opportunity to learn more about the Laurel-Apprentice relationship, who the Kingdom Laurels are, and likewise give the Kingdom Laurels a chance to meet unbelted A&S enthusiasts. Feel free to post your request or offer on the Avacal A&S Facebook group, or email
Drífa for a match-maker!
This is also an excellent opportunity to celebrate the Laurel-Apprentice relationship, and highlight the Apprentices of Avacal!
- All artisans with a Laurel/sponsor may enter. This includes artisans from Avacal as well as guests from other kingdoms.
- SCA membership is not required to compete.
- Apprentices with Laurels from outside of Avacal are welcome to compete; your Laurel does not need to be a citizen of Avacal.
- Youth may enter with the supervision of a parent/guardian. The parent/guardian may assist with safety-related aspects of project completion, but the bulk of work should be that of the artisan. The parent/guardian must remain through the judging session with the youth.
- Laurels are encouraged to attend and support their Apprentice (or apprentice-for-the-day) but are not required for competition. (Though there might just be bonuses for those who do… 😉 )
A&S display at Avacal Sergeant Trials – focus on my Finnish Coils Work In Progress
RSVP for the event on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/events/620073998142753/
Check out the website for this event here: https://sites.google.com/site/montengardesamhain2016/arts-sciences