Craft Swap – Inspired by Nature

Completed sachets with more little bags waiting to be filled.

Completed sachets with more little bags waiting to be filled.

In my recent post “I’m naming all the stars” I mentioned that I’ve joined a craft swap. For September, the theme was “Inspired by Nature” and I swapped with my partner in early October. Now that the surprise won’t be ruined… I can share it here too!

For my craft, I went to my garden (the closest to nature I’m going to get) and harvested some of my hops and lavender. Both are said to have calming scents which can help with good sleep, so these sachets are meant to be beside or pillow-side so the scent can influence for rest.

Stamping each of the fabrics with a pigment ink and fleur des lis stamp.

Stamping each of the fabrics with a pigment ink and fleur des lis stamp.

For my craft-swap project, I started with chambray, a blue cotton. I had leftover of this fabric from another project, and originally got the fabric from my former teacher. (wee! free fabrics!)  I cut these into three squares – each slightly smaller than the next to make a cute stack when they were complete.

I used a rubber stamp with a fleur des lis on it, and some gold-red pigment ink. I did set the ink with the iron, however since these won’t be washed, it wasn’t necessary to use a washable ink. The print is really subtle on the blue fabric which I think looks cute and rustic…

Adding hops to the sachets

Adding hops to the sachets

I machine sewed all of the edges, leaving a small gap to fill. I filled these with fresh hops from my garden and dried lavender. The hops are still green, so these will need to be kept in the open air (not stored in a plastic box) so that the hops can dry naturally. With the cotton fabric, this shouldn’t be a problem. Ideally I’d like to wait until the hops dry, but I didn’t really have time for that 😉

Once the pouches were stuffed with hops and lavender, I slip-stitched the openings closed by hand.

Completed sachets with more little bags waiting to be filled.

Completed sachets with more little bags waiting to be filled.

I also made some additional sachets for an upcoming SCA Largess challenge at the end of October. Instead of cotton chambray, these are instead made of linen – left overs from two different dresses I’ve made in the past. (Always a good thing to keep those scraps!)  One set is on “herb” green linen, while the other is on hand-dyed grey-blue linen. These I stamped with a bronze ink instead of gold-red, and did a sort of fern/leaf shape instead.

Swap!

I wasn’t able to meet with my swap partner right at the end of September, so we met in early October instead. She made me a dreamcatcher!

Dreamcatcher from Tiffany and the Craft Swap

Dreamcatcher from Tiffany and the Craft Swap

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s