Finally, to finish off the teal figured velvet giornea (overdress), I needed a “belt” and a closure.
For the belt I used two strips of the same teal fabric that I used for the binding, and two strips of copper-coloured silk as flat piping. I interfaced one of the teal strips with iron-on interfacing for lightweight stability, and sewed on copper metallic lace. (I started sewing this on by machine but it snagged the metallic lace, so I had to switch to hand sewing it with teal silk thread.)
View this post on Instagram
Look ma, no pins… the color scheme of this one doesn't really feel like me… But actually kind of feels like a color scheme of a friend of mine would wear. Copper lace, copper silk, and teal for one of the projects I'm working on, due in 2 weeks! #sewingSaturday #sewing #silk #costume #cosplay #DIY #SCA #Italian #ItalianRenaissance #IRarelyUsePinsToSew #ApparentlyThatsOdd #sewingMachine #homeMade
For the closure I used a pair of large hooks and eyes which are pretty much hidden when the belt is closed, and used two jewellery sliders from Michaels to imitate a front clasp, since I couldn’t find any clasps in the three places I looked – or my own stash – that actually suited this costume.