Cranach Gown – the second toile

Cutting out the second toile for the Cranach Gown costume bodice - I marked the seam allowances directly on the fabric.

Cutting out the second toile for the Cranach Gown costume bodice – I marked the seam allowances directly on the fabric.

If you read my previous post about the bodice for my Cranach gown, (version 1) you’ll know that on Sunday the 14th I knew that the bodice as I had it was not going to work for the event on the following Saturday. I had two choices – try to make the bodice as-is work, or start again from scratch. Given the amount of work needed to undo what I had done and re-do parts of it, and the fact that I did have enough material (or so I thought.. LOL) I thought it would be better to start again.

I made a few changes to the pattern, and then went to another bodice toile. It honestly doesn’t look so different from the first one… I even used the same linen-look yellow synthetic fabric for the toile!

I constructed it in a very similar way to the original toile as well… but my thought process was different, and given the mistakes I’d made on the first bodice, I approached the toile a bit differently, with the idea of better construction procedures in mind for Version 2 of the Cranach bodice.

Marking the Cranach Gown costume bodice toile with tracing paper and a tracing wheel to indicate where the zipper will go on the bodice.

Marking the Cranach Gown costume bodice toile with tracing paper and a tracing wheel to indicate where the zipper will go on the bodice.

Like the original toile, I sewed the seams, and added a zipper to fasten the bodice to try it on and test the fit… this would also factor in to the next version of this bodice… (stay tuned!)

The fit

The fit on this was pretty good, and I liked the lines better. I did need to make one further alteration, as illustrated in the photo below.

The second toile for the Cranach Gown bodice. The small amount I took back out is marked with a pin.

The second toile for the Cranach Gown bodice. The small amount I took back out is marked with a pin.

I needed to take in a bit at the bust which I had added back IN while moving from version 1 to 2… with a new plan for construction, I realized I could keep the snug fit I really wanted, and get the look I had in mind.

Keep reading!

Link to all of the posts about my Cranach gown projectIf you’re reading this post when it’s posted… stay tuned, I’ll have the next stage of my last-minute German garb: Cranach Gown in a few days… If you’re reading this post well after the publication date, click the “Cranach Gown” tag to see all of the posts related to this gown, or the German Late period category to see all posts about late period German garb, including the accessories I made to go along with this outfit.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s