German Renaissance Cranach Gown
Over the past few weeks I’ve showed off different parts of my Cranach Gown costume. The gollar and hat I made in advance, however the gown itself was made in less than a week before an event, so there are still some improvements I’ll make before the next time I wear it. Still, I’m really happy with how it turned out so far.
From the head down, this costume is comprised of:
- Teal split brim hat
- Gold silk Goldhaube
- Black velveteen gollar
- Cranach gown Bodice (see the trials in toile 1, bodice 1, toile 2) with sleeves
- Skirt (sewn to the bodice)
- Linen chemise
In future I’ll need to make some upgrades and changes, as well as add in a suitable collar-style necklace.
When I started off making this costume, I started with a sketch.. though I ended up making three and sort of putting my favourite parts together.
I started off by looking at my stash of wool suiting – I had green (which was supported by my reference portrait paintings), black (also supported), and purple (not supported by the paintings I was using for reference).
I knew the contrast would be gold… I had a few different golden silk damask fabrics to work with. I looked at paintings for sleeves, necklines, skirt embellishment….. I decided to go with the black wool, with a skirt like the black sketch (though I still haven’t put the contrast gold on it). I intended to do the sleeves like the purple sketch, but ended up with ones like the black or green but without the white drape. (I loved it, but only saw it in one portrait and suspect it’s allegorical instead of a true depiction of common style.)
One of the Twelfth Night guests takes great photos – these are directly linked from his Flickr feed, all rights are his.
Come check out what I’m making next on my Instagram feed, or come follow me on Facebook, and you’ll get up-to-date posts about all of my new costume, sewing, and crafting projects. You can also see all my inspiration on Pinterest.