For my fantasy Egyptian costume (Anubis) I made a necklace with black and gold plastic beads along with turquoise spacers. Since I’ve made a (slightly) more realistic costume.. (pending lots and lots of hand work for an even more realistic costume) I thought I’d update my necklace as well. Continue reading
Today’s Throwback Thursday is a J-rock inspired neck corset or collar. I made this a number of years ago, so I don’t have any in-progress photos. Like my Visual Kei mouth masks, this was inspired by Japanese street fashion.
To make this, I ended up actually draping the pattern, to get a skin-tight fit over complex curves.
The neck corset is made of black satin, lined in black cotton for comfort, and is trimmed with black lace at the lower edge.
The neck corset / collar is topstitched with purple thread, and closes in the back with snaps – unlike another neck corset I’ve made, the fit is not adjustable.
The Baron and Baroness of our Barony put out a post not too long ago looking for largesse as their coffers are running low from giving away so much!
Since the current royals have let us know that they don’t need any more of my go-to largesse (little sweet bags/purses/pouches) which uses up scrap material and doesn’t really cost me anything, I was in a bit of a quandary about what to make. I really can’t justify the cost of going out and buying more supplies right now. The benefit of the little bags is that I can make a lot without it costing me a lot… but I guess after donating several dozen – they’re full! Continue reading
When making the second version of the horned headdress – the horned hennin for the January 2018 Historical Sew Monthly challenge – I learned that in the time period this was depicted in my main inspiration images, fashions were changing very quickly, and being ‘out of fashion’ became a more significant social issue. With that in mind, I decided to dig a bit deeper to see if I wanted to make a new garment to accompany this new hat.
While I started the millinery project just with the thought of exploring the style for a friend who wanted to make one – once it was done I thought it might also be useful for the elevation celebration costume for Philippe, who will be elevated to the order of the Laurel (in the SCA) this spring. Continue reading
With the announcement of the 2018 challenges, and my completion of the December 2017 challenge, I thought it was time to do a little 2017 challenge review for the Historical Sew Monthly challenges.
January: Firsts & Lasts
Create either the first item in a new ensemble, or one last piece to put the final fillip on an outfit.
For this challenge I created a German Renaissance Gollar . (click for the full post)