Back when the maker studio was open, I started a few different projects that I ended up putting aside when the pandemic shut everything down. I ended up filing a bunch of them away, but during spring cleaning came across one of them – this cute paper shade for an electric candle.
Last year, you might remember that I made a few little furniture/decorative pieces for my friend who collects and displays fashion dolls. (Like the Asian inspired shelf, or some of the other Making Miniatures posts)
Well, before covid shut everything down, I used the maker studio’s laser cutter for a few other things as well, and for Christmas 2020 I ended up finishing them off and giving them to my friend as well. (Her Instagram, @CanadianFashionDoll isn’t really being used currently, but maybe she’ll be up and running again?)
One of the pieces I wanted to make was a mid-century style showcase shelf – the kind of shelf not just for books, but to display artwork, vases, or maybe even to hang favourite clothing?
Back in 2016 I made a Byzantine costume for an event/competition (where I won first place in the advanced category!) and part of that was a pair of beautiful red silk cuffs.
As you read in my earlier post, when I made the teal hat, I also made a pair of teal embellished cuffs.
I was gifted this amazing teal top embellished with silver beads, sequins, and French wire… and the ONLY thing I could see in my mind’s eye for this were elements for another Byzantine accessory.
Back in 2016 I made a Byzantine costume for an event/competition (where I won first place in the advanced category!) and part of that was a gorgeous, fun, huge fan-shaped hat called the Propoloma. My pattern was speculative, and I could see two different ways to accomplish the hat – but liked the idea of a very packable hat, especially considering how often SCA events are well out of town and require costumes that will pack up into a suitcase or duffle bag easily.
The first hat was golden, which worked well with that first costume I made (blue, with red and gold accessories) and it also worked really well with the second Byzantine costume I made too (green with gold)…
…. but then I was gifted this amazing teal top embellished with silver beads, sequins, and French wire… and the ONLY thing I could see in my mind’s eye for this was elements for another Byzantine accessory.