This is another post that I started ages ago, saved as a draft… but forgot to post!
After feeling a lot more comfortable with Viking Knit (Trichinopoly) after a few successful projects in stainless steel and copper wire, I decided to buy some silver wire. (Almost twice the price.)
The silver was $16.35 for a 30 ft roll at the time, where the stainless steel I started out with was less than $7 for a 30 ft roll)
The silver wire, like the copper wire, was soft, and easily pliable. I found it was fairly easy to keep the tension consistent and have fairly tight ‘ladders’. (Unlike the stainless steel wire!) Even doing double-knit, I found that the chain came together a lot faster than the steel. Although I know part of that is simply having better control over the technique, part of it I’m sure is also thanks to the wire itself.
I also learned that pulling straight down the dowel while looping helped keep my rows much straighter, and left me having to adjust much less frequently. I continued with the technique of doing tiny little coils with the spare wire ends, and was glad for the result when I was done.
Viking knit measurements – before & after the drawplate
I knitted up all 30 feet of my silver wire. When I took it off the dowel it was about 54 cm ( 21.5 inches) long. After going through the largest hole it was about 84 cm (33 inches) long, and once it went through the smallest hole, it was the final length – 92 cm (36.5 inches) long. I figured rather than knitting up two pieces like I did with my first project, and having them be a little too long, I’d knit up the whole thing, and then just cut what I needed to the length that I needed it.