I’ve read about oak galls and their place in dyeing and ink-making a little, and didn’t think too much of them – I don’t really think of oak trees in Calgary (compared to trips to Louisiana!) but while out for a walk (playing PokemonGo!) I noticed that one of the parks near me had cute little (young) oak trees. A closer look… and there were the weird clustered balls.
This post is incredibly long in the making – I started working on a St. Birgitta’s cap several years ago, when one of the people in the SCA (Coryn of the Wode) taught a class on how to make the cap.
Unfortunately, the cap wasn’t finished in class… so I took it in parts home, and then promptly forgot all about it. Then, for the February edition of the Historical Sew Monthly, the topic is “linen”, and while there are more elaborate linen items on my to-do list, this seemed like an accomplishable project given how few projects I was able to accomplish in 2018.
For my next pyrography project I really was trying to consider WHICH era/time/place I hadn’t yet made a bling-box for.
I have costumes for:
- Italian Renaissance
- Ottoman Empire
- Byzantine Empire
- So much Viking
- German Renaissance
- Iron Age Finland
- 15th century French
- 14th century English
- Ancient Egyptian
- Ancient Roman
- Tudor (sorta..)
But.. some of these I don’t have much bling for (not enough to warrant a box), some I might eventually have enough bling for (but not yet), and some I have SO MUCH BLING for… Continue reading
I was so happy with the Egyptian themed pyrography bling box and the amount of detail that went into it, that I decided to look at another design for something relatively complex as well (compared to some of my earlier projects). I decided that I wanted to make one for my German Renaissance costume as well, though at the moment I have NO jewellery to go with this (since the wide choker-necklace I want to make/buy I didn’t have time for when I created the original gown). Continue reading