New veil & my very late entry into the Historical Sew Monthly January challenge

I’ve gotten a lot of wear out of the veil I made to go with my Byzantine outfit in January 2016, but I noticed that it had stained lightly with wet, freshly dyed hair… so when I was washing fabric for the fourth version of my horned hennin, I decided to wash up enough linen to cut a new veil as well.

Marking linen for a half-circle veil. This linen is not as sheer or light as my previous veil.

Marking linen for a half-circle veil.

Based on Fabrics-Store’s linen, I’d estimate this around 3-4 oz/yd, though I bought it from a different seller who doesn’t note the weight of the fabric. My previous veil used 2.8 oz/yd linen from Fabrics-Store.

I folded the fabric in half, and marked out 71cm from the centre in an arch to make a quarter-circle on the fold – to make a new half-circle veil (the shape I find attractive and versatile).

My previous veil was entirely hand-hemmed… but I didn’t really feel like spending that kind of time on this one. I ended up doing a stitch, turn and press, turn and press and stitch on it by machine instead.

I did add the same embroidered “L” to one of the corners like I did on my last veil though…

The result is a heavier veil than the other one I have – I think it will work well for styles where I wear it under another hat (like my Byzantine costume) but I don’t think it works well on the soft collapsible horned hennins that I made. So… for that – I’ll be making another 2.8 oz white linen veil instead!

 

The Challenge: January 2020Timetravelling Garments: Create an item that works for more than one historical era, or that can be used for both historical costuming, and modern wear. It could be an apron that could do 1770s or 1860s in a pinch, a shift that can work under many decades of fashion, or a historical cape you also wear everyday, etc.

I am getting to the 2020 Historical Sew Monthly challenges EXTREMELY late, but this project suits this theme, so I’m calling it good. I’ll be able to wear this veil through several different costume projects – my Byzantine and 15th Century costumes specifically.

Material: 100% linen

Pattern: 1/2 circle, marked directly on fabric

Year: generic medieval – suitable for my 11-15th century costuming

Notions: thread

How historically accurate is it? The shape seems to suit many paintings and illuminations. The construction is entirely by sewing machine.

Hours to complete: About 10 minutes to cut, another 45 to hem and embroider.

First worn: not yet

Total cost: The linen was on a great sale for $4.95/yard (USA site plus shipping)  and this veil took just under a meters, but the leftover bits from the half-circle being cut out went into making my fourth version of a horned hennin.

Byzantine Capsule

11th Century Byzantine costume

11th Century Byzantine costume

The next “Capsule Costume Collection” is another small one- I have two main outfits (and a few extra accessories and pieces) where some of the accessories play double-duty.

Byzantine Capsule Costume Collection

I didn’t originally think I’d end up making very many outfits in this area. I made the original for a thematic contest/fashion show (where I won first place in the advanced category!) and really liked it- but it’s so far out from the time frame I’m mostly interested in.  Then my friend from Adventures in Block Printing got an amazing Persian Prancing Pony block and lent it to me… and another outfit was born. Continue reading

Pyrography Egyptian Bling Box

pyrography bling box with an image of Egyptian Goddess Ma'at on the top, and Anubis and Bastet on the front. Pictured here with some of my Egyptian costume jewelry on top of the blue overdress from my costume.

pyrography bling box with an image of Egyptian Goddess Ma’at on the top, and Anubis and Bastet on the front.

Like a lot of my other bling boxes (except the Viking ones!) I don’t have a LOT of accessories to store in these wood burned boxes.. yet –  but for my work-in-progress Egyptian costume, I do already have a few necklaces (one glass, one stone). I also have some Egyptian Faience beads which I can store in the bling box as well… ready for when I want to string them up. Continue reading

Byzantine textile inspired bling box

The top of this wood burned box was based on a 11th century textile.

The top of this wood burned box was based on a 11th century textile.

I really wanted to continue with pyrography (wood burning) after my first round of wood-burned bling boxes. My intention was to make one for each of the costumes I currently have to hold small things like jewellery, belts, etc. for each of my costumes… but then possibly for other little things I need to tuck away. Continue reading

Egyptian faience necklace

Selfie wearing a hand-made necklace of hand-made Egyptian Faience beads

Selfie wearing Egyptian Faience necklace

Although I haven’t even started pleating the fabric for my linen Egyptian dress (based off the synthetic ‘practice’ one I did in 2017) I still wanted to make a more period-appropriate necklace to go with this outfit. Originally I wanted to blend the Faience beads I recently got back from a friend’s kiln with some lapis lazuli beads I bought locally, as as explored on New Egyptian necklace research, but ended up not liking the combination together, likely because of the shape/size of beads and the texture difference. (As discussed in Lapis Lazuli necklace.) Continue reading