Egyptian Faience – the results

Turquoise Faience beads and pendants

Turquoise Faience beads and pendants

About a year ago, I helped organize a class taught by Alysa from Fuzzy Lizard Studios on Egyptian Faience. In today’s post I’ll show off some of the results…

After nearly a year of sitting around... the turquoise Egyptian Faience beads were completely white

After nearly a year of sitting around… the turquoise beads were completely white

It took a while to get to this point. In the class I made a number of beads and other ornaments, with the plan to get together with other classmates in a few weeks later to have them fired at a local kiln that Alysa had researched for us. I also bought two additional packages of clay-powder to make more beads, but didn’t get right around to making it up into anything. Continue reading

Golden Byzantine Accessories

Selfie in my new green silk block printed Byzantine gown with golden silk accessories.

Selfie in my new green silk block printed Byzantine gown with golden silk accessories.

In my previous post about my new (Pretty printed prancing period Persian ponies) Byzantine gown, I mentioned also making new accessories to wear with it – namely the collar (Superhumeral) and hanging panel.

Continue reading

Pretty printed prancing period Persian ponies

Painting in some of the details on the silk

Painting in some of the details on the silk

For an A&S night (a SCA evening where we practice Arts & Sciences) one of the local artisans taught  a workshop on block-printing, and let me borrow two of her fabulous wooden blocks – winged horses based of an extant Persian fabric. While the original is woven, the blocks make great look-similar-from-a-distance printed fabric!

(Check out her page “Adventures in Block Printing” on Facebook here, and her original inspiration for this block here.)

Continue reading

Historical Sew Monthly September 2017 – Egyptian

My newest Egyptian costume - an orange loose sheath dress with 'sleeves' and a v-neck with a teal 'coat'.

Orange loose sheath dress with ‘sleeves’ and a v-neck with a teal ‘coat’.

I mentioned in my previous post that I was going to make an Egyptian costume for the Historical Sew Monthly challenge for September 2017. I just barely made the deadline, finishing off the costume on September 30, even though it took me a few more days to get photos and write up a blog post.

Continue reading

Egyptian costume – September 2017 HSM

initial sketch looking at options for my Egyptian costume

sketch for my Egyptian gowns

September 2017’s Historical Sew Monthly theme is “Seen Onscreen”. It was finally mid-September when I finally got my full sewing space back, and I wasn’t sure if I’d have time to make something for this challenge (actually on time…rather than all the others that have been very, very late) but I figured I’d give it a go anyways.

The theme

September: Seen Onscreen – Be inspired by period fashions as shown onscreen (film or TV), and recreate your favourite historical costume as a historically accurate period piece.

Continue reading