Finished bead hanger
One of the artisans in my SCA Barony offered to teach a bronze casting class in early November. His offer was to cast either an early or later-period sword pommel, but then also offered that students could cast another reasonably flat object if they wouldn’t use a pommel.
One student asked about a penannular brooch, but I had something different in mind – bead hangers in the style of a 9th century Finnish find.
Lucet cord class at the SCA Festival of the SnowEaters
I attended Festival of the Snoweaters in October, and it’s taken me this long to get to the few photos I took to share them…
I taught two classes – Introduction to naalbinding, and Introduction to lucet.
Drab grey – green wool Norse underdress
Blue wool apron dress over a green wool underdress
My most recent Viking-age coat in black and white wool with blue silk trim
In my last blog post I started talking about building “Capsule Costume Collections” – and the most obvious place to start is my Viking Age costume collection.
Black wool-blend coat with red and black trim
While most of my outerwear garments are for my Viking Age costume kit – I realized that this coat could really be for any early period that I might want to do, since the shapes are so similar across different styles.
Once I was finished with my term as Montengarde’s Emerald Rose, I wanted to shift my SCA wardrobe away from so much green, and back to my typical more goth aesthetic. I acquired some black wool-blend twill fabric, some red and black wool-blend twill fabric, and some black and grey wool-blend fabric (with an interesting basket-type of weave) from my former teacher and despite the partially synthetic content, I decided to start there.
New plaid apron dress
In summer 2016 I hosted a supply swap – with the plan for it to be part of a two-event challenge in the SCA, however there wasn’t enough participation so I had to cancel the second part. However, I did come away with some lovely wool plaid fabric from Asny Hafdansdoitter, a SCA player from another kingdom.
The yardage is a medium charcoal grey, with light grey, navy blue, and burgundy plaid. The only challenge for me – it was only 170cm long by 140cm wide – much too small for most of the garments I’d want to make for myself.