Once I had the black and grey wool-blend hood finished, I liked the results so much that I went to my stash of other fabrics from the Grandmother’s Fabric Sale and found another piece of wool, also with less than two meters. This fabric is a charcoal grey with a slight steel blue tinge to it. In sewing it I found it very spongy – it did not want to hold a press at all. (It is a tabby weave, not a crepe weave though.) You can see in the photo below my pattern – and the number of adjustments that were made before I got something I really liked.
Although I really liked the plaid hood I blogged about the other day, I thought that it was a bit short, and thought that it would be nicer with a longer, fuller capelet. I had some black-and-grey wool-blend fabric with an interesting square weave left over from another project, and so opted to cut out a second hood from this leftover, with a much longer capelet.
Lately I’ve been loving the Instagram feed from a costumer from the Pacific Northwest – Midgaarb. She shows off a lot of Viking-inspired costumes, along with beautiful evocative photos of the beauty of the PNW. When I came across a piece of wool-blend plaid in my stash from the April 2017 Grandmother’s Fabric Sale, I immediately thought of Midgaarb’s hooded capelets, and crossed my fingers that the yardage (less than 2 meters) would be enough.
I received a number of bags of fabric and clothing not too long ago from my former teacher – she was de-stashing, and so I got to stash-build instead! (Like I need more fabric…. LOL) I kept some of the pieces I thought I could use, and gave away the rest, but one of the pieces I kept was a lovely lightweight silk blouse (with a nasty fringe and some rips around the buttons, so it wasn’t wearable).
On one of the Viking groups I’m part of on Facebook, there was some discussion about the frequently seen “santa hat”, the 5/6-panel hat, and finally the pillbox hat as options for Viking Age men’s Norse headwear.
I wanted to start a menswear-style outfit for my Norse Viking Age ‘wardrobe’ (more about why later… the other post is a work-in-progress still) and decided I wanted to include a hat as well.