As I was doing my analysis of my German wardrobe in my German Capsule Collection post, I recognized that one of the things I wanted to add to the wardrobe was a hat in a more historically-informed colour.
I have two hats for this period already – a blue-on-blue Tellerbarret, and a teal tweedDockenbaret with ostrich feathers. (Which I referred to as a split-brim hat.) However in portraits the most common colours are red and black, with the occasional white hat appearing as well. I wish I could find ample heaps of affordable red wool, but alas, no such luck…. so black wool it would be!
My German Renaissance Split-Brim hat with grey ostrich feathers worn with my black velveteen Gollar and my Cranach gown costume.
In mid-January the SCA barony I live in celebrated the step-up of a new Baron and Baroness, who have German personas. To recognize their elevation in a symbolic kind of way, several of us planned to add German elements to our existing costumes. As I wasn’t entirely sure if I could pull together a new German gown in time for the coronet, I decided to start with accessories. First the Gollar I already posted about, and next a new hat.
When I was in Toronto not too long ago I picked up two silver feathers from Hi Beads. While the ends had attachment points, that wasn’t how I wanted to use them, so I had to be a bit creative.
Out came my leather punch – but the feathers were too thick for this to work – so instead I got a nail and a hammer, along with a piece of super-thick scrap leather that I use to set rivets sometimes, and a piece of softoleum, and I made my own holes in the feathers where I wanted them. For a little bit more information, I wrote about the technique in my Bat Necklacepost.
From there I strung in two jump rings and a length of chain (three links worth…) and had a better start to what I had in mind. I thought of layering the feathers and just using one ring as the pivot point, or punching a bigger hole and using a rivet as the ‘hinge’ but I wanted the feathers to sit further apart and create more of a rounded shape rather than a V-shape.
I haven’t posted any projects in a while, so even though this isn’t a particularly complicated project, I figured that I would post it nonetheless!
I had some silver-tone feather charms leftover from a project ages ago, and then found some additional feather charms in a multi-pack – and when feeling the need to get crafty, I figured I would put them all together!
The large silver tone feathers are from a bead store, the small ones are actually from a dollar store, and the chain and toggle clasp are from Michael’s craft store.
Silver Feather Necklace
Normally I don’t work with chain, because of my metal allergy, but I figured I would deal with it this time around, because this really needed to be chain.
1. I started by attaching a toggle clasp to the ends of a length of chain (I have some chain-by-the-meter leftover from a totally different project)
2. Then I attached five of the charms directly to the main necklace. I used split-rings instead of jump rings just because they seem more solid – though I did need to hunt down my super-small needle-nose pliers to do so!
3. Then I cut four lengths of chain (about 1.5cm long) and attached the charms to the chain, then the chain to the necklace between the original five feathers.
4. Next I cut three more lengths of chain – this time closer to 2cm long and did the same with the remaining feathers.
Pretty simple! It did take some time just because of the split rings more than anything else.
Silver Feather Necklace
While I was feeling crafty, I also made up a silver chain bib-style necklace (which I’ll show off in a future post), a new ankh pendant necklace, and a black rose pendant necklace.