On April 7, 2018 I attended Grand TUA – The University of Avacal. This is an annual event consisting mostly of classes, though some social aspects, SCA court, and martial activities are also included. This year for the first time the Kingdom A&S (Arts & Sciences) Championship was also included. Continue reading
I really liked the photo of another costumer wearing her veil with her Propoloma, so made one as well.
Plus.. a veil just seems like something I’ll use for a variety of costumes.
I started with a meter of the linen gauze from fabrics-store.com. This is the 2.8 oz/yard linen, and I really like it. I suspect it will soften up nicely with washing which I think will be nice –however for pressing and sewing, the crispness was very good too.
I looked at Cathrin’s Katafalk page (https://katafalk.wordpress.com/2014/04/17/different-shapes-of-veils/ ) on the different shapes of veils, and thought that this shape was the most flattering. I also thought that the half-circle veil looked the most similar to the veil the older women were wearing in The Birth of St John the Baptist, which means I could wear it with my Italian costume as well.
I cut a 1meter diameter by 70cm radius half-circle, pressed all of the edges with one very narrow fold, and then hand-stitched the next fold in place (folding by hand, not pressing) for a double-fold hem that is about 4 threads in from the edge – a total width of about 1/8th of an inch or 3-4 mm.
As I’m sure there will be many, many veils at events, and mine could easily be mistaken for another should I take it off, I opted to embroidery a small white “L” (for my last name) in one of the corners. The hand-done satin stitch goes over 2 threads in the weave, and the total “L” is about 8 threads wide.
I also made two headbands of linen to pin around my head and pin the veil to, for when I’m not wearing the hat over top of it, but want to wear it on it’s own.
In my previous post, I mentioned attending the SCA Grand TUA in Regina at the end of October. One of the classes I took was on gussets and gores. I had been hoping just a bit that there would be some secret technique to avoid hand-stitching the very tip to get the insets started… but nothing unfortunately.
We did both an underarm gusset, and a skirt gore in the class – completed all by hand (albeit in a very small scale!).
I also took classes on calligraphy, embroidery, silent heraldry, and spices. Additionally I took five classes with the Tudor Tailors, which I’ll hopefully blog about later…