Hedeby-style Viking bag

Wearing the small version, a first attempt at a bag inspired by the Hedeby 'handles'

Wearing the small version, a first attempt at a bag inspired by the Hedeby ‘handles’

In an earlier post I showed the handles I made for a Viking-inspired bag in the style of the Hedeby handles and the speculative bags made from that design.

For this post, I’ll show you what I did with the wood handles, to make a fabric bag!

Continue reading

Black and white striped Ottoman Entari

Striped Ottoman Entari - a black and white striped cotton trimmed with blue silk.

Work in progress – Striped Ottoman Entari – a black and white striped cotton trimmed with blue silk.

While going through my sometimes overflowing collection of fabrics, I started sorting out some of them into boxes of what kinds of fabric they were (green suit-weight wool, pale linen, etc) but some lengths of fabric quickly made me think of particular costumes, so I ended up bagging them together, hoping that they’d inspire me to SEW…

One of those fabrics was a black and white striped cotton that I received from my former teacher. There was about 4 meters of it, which was enough to make a late-period Turkish (Ottoman) Entari. When I was originally making my first Turkish costume, I wrote in my overview that this coat was:

“Medium-weight A or bell-shaped coat. Fitted to the waist and shaped with side gores with an overlapping front gore. Usually floor-length. Round or v-neck. Closed down the front with small buttons and loops or long frogs. Often depicted unbuttoned from neckline to chest and waist to floor. Most often with wide, elbow-length sleeves, though also shown narrow and wrist-length. Occasionally extremely long maunche-like sleeves with slits. Most often made of silk, lined in cotton. Rarely trimmed, but the inside edge was often faced with silk.”

Continue reading

2019 Historical Sew Monthly challenges

hand-sewing the folded grey wool exterior to the pink linen interior of the collapsible truncated hennin hat.

collapsible truncated hennin hat.

The challenges for the 2019 Historical Sew Monthly have been announced! I am excited to read about it but… also feel rather unsure about my participation, since in 2018 I didn’t get to many of the challenges at all. I made lots of things in 2018… (like the collapsible and packable truncated hennin to the left)  just not a lot that worked with the challenges at the timeframe of the challenges…

Still, each year I do a post with what I’m thinking of and what I’d like to do… so this year is no different. Perhaps it will help inspire me!  Continue reading

Grey and black open front apron dress- HSM Feb 2018

My black and grey apron dress worn with a new apron panel and my green under dress.

My black and grey apron dress worn with a new apron panel and my green under dress. Photo ©Mysticus Photography

I made an open front apron dress a while ago (in 2015), and discussed some of my skepticism with the whole open-front apron dress + apron panel combination that I see a LOT of with SCA Viking-Age reenactors online and elsewhere.

Colour palette for my Viking Age costume wardrobe

Current Viking Age Palette

Still, despite my skepticism on the ‘evidence’ for this style so far, I can’t deny the pretty… I got some grey and black wool-blend fabric from my former teacher, and wanted to make something Viking-inspired from it. It also just happens to work perfectly into my Viking Capsule Collection plans.

It would have made a wonderful coat, but I just finished making a new wool-blend coat and didn’t really need another (my black and red one is now one of three wool Viking coats in my Norse Reenactment wardrobe…) With a coat off the table, I thought an apron dress would work, and specifically an open-front apron dress ( hangerock).  I feel a lot more comfortable using wool blends for these speculative garments; saving my 100% wool fabrics for more documentable designs.

Continue reading

Historical Sew Monthly 2017 in review

With the announcement of the 2018 challenges, and my completion of the December 2017 challenge, I thought it was time to do a little 2017 challenge review for the Historical Sew Monthly challenges.

January: Firsts & Lasts

German Renaissance style costume hat

My German Renaissance Split-Brim hat with grey ostrich feathers worn with my black velveteen Gollar and my Cranach gown costume.

Create either the first item in a new ensemble, or one last piece to put the final fillip on an outfit.

For this challenge I created a German Renaissance Gollar . (click for the full post)

Continue reading