November’s Historical Sew Monthly (Fortnightly) theme is Inspiration – taking a look at what other members have made over the past several years and using it as inspiration for our own project. In my initial brainstorming post, I had a number of thoughts about inspiration, but as the deadline got closer and closer (and I’ve missed so many themes this year!) I was drawn to something more practical for every-day…
While most of my outerwear garments are for my Viking Age costume kit – I realized that this coat could really be for any early period that I might want to do, since the shapes are so similar across different styles.
Once I was finished with my term as Montengarde’s Emerald Rose, I wanted to shift my SCA wardrobe away from so much green, and back to my typical more goth aesthetic. I acquired some black wool-blend twill fabric, some red and black wool-blend twill fabric, and some black and grey wool-blend fabric (with an interesting basket-type of weave) from my former teacher and despite the partially synthetic content, I decided to start there.
I mentioned in my previous post that I was going to make an Egyptian costume for the Historical Sew Monthly challenge for September 2017. I just barely made the deadline, finishing off the costume on September 30, even though it took me a few more days to get photos and write up a blog post.
In summer 2016 I hosted a supply swap – with the plan for it to be part of a two-event challenge in the SCA, however there wasn’t enough participation so I had to cancel the second part. However, I did come away with some lovely wool plaid fabric from Asny Hafdansdoitter, a SCA player from another kingdom.
The yardage is a medium charcoal grey, with light grey, navy blue, and burgundy plaid. The only challenge for me – it was only 170cm long by 140cm wide – much too small for most of the garments I’d want to make for myself.
For Caterina’s elevation nearly a year ago I wanted to make a Giornea – and overdress for the Italian Renaissance costume not unlike my previous Giornea. However, this time I wanted to try a different style, with an open front rather than open sides. I thought that this would be flattering, and would nicely show off the green silk under dress (Gamurra).
I drafted the pattern based off my new Gamurra draft for the bodice, and used simple trapezoids for the skirt. No drafting there…
I did a mock up in a gorgeous gold and red brocade home decorating fabric. I bought this at the Grandmother’s Fabric Sale a while ago, and adored it, but it was only about 2 meters… I didn’t think I’d be able to find anything to make out of it…. but this worked out reasonably well. I wish I had more fullness for the skirt – but I hoped it would still be a wearable mock-up / toile. (I usually like to do mock-ups out of fabric that would make a wearable garment if the mock-up works out…)