Selfie in my new red and gold Italian over dress (worn over mundane clothing).
For Caterina’s elevation nearly a year ago I wanted to make a Giornea– and overdress for the Italian Renaissance costume not unlike my previous Giornea. However, this time I wanted to try a different style, with an open front rather than open sides. I thought that this would be flattering, and would nicely show off the green silk under dress (Gamurra).
Laying out the pieces for the overdress
I drafted the pattern based off my new Gamurra draft for the bodice, and used simple trapezoids for the skirt. No drafting there…
I did a mock up in a gorgeous gold and red brocade home decorating fabric. I bought this at the Grandmother’s Fabric Sale a while ago, and adored it, but it was only about 2 meters… I didn’t think I’d be able to find anything to make out of it…. but this worked out reasonably well. I wish I had more fullness for the skirt – but I hoped it would still be a wearable mock-up / toile. (I usually like to do mock-ups out of fabric that would make a wearable garment if the mock-up works out…)
For the belt I used two strips of the same teal fabric that I used for the binding, and two strips of copper-coloured silk as flat piping. I interfaced one of the teal strips with iron-on interfacing for lightweight stability, and sewed on copper metallic lace. (I started sewing this on by machine but it snagged the metallic lace, so I had to switch to hand sewing it with teal silk thread.)
For the closure I used a pair of large hooks and eyes which are pretty much hidden when the belt is closed, and used two jewellery sliders from Michaels to imitate a front clasp, since I couldn’t find any clasps in the three places I looked – or my own stash – that actually suited this costume.
Work-in-progress photo collage of making the belt for my teal overdress.
Complete “celebration” Italian outfit including the teal figured velvet overdress
For Caterina’s elevation I wanted to make a Giornea – and overdress for the Italian Renaissance costume not unlike my previous Giornea. However, this time I wanted to try a different style, with an open front rather than open sides. I thought that this would be flattering, and would nicely show off the under dress (Gamurra).
I started by making a “muslin” or test garment/ mock up. I used a red and gold scroll home decorating fabric, which I’ll blog about soon. (Click the 1480s Florence tag to see all of my Italian garments.)
You might remember from my original idea-planning for this year’s Historical Sew Monthly, I was really wanting to do a Finnish Viking Age costume. I also REALLY didn’t know what to do for the brown challenge for September, because I really don’t care for the colour brown. I did ponder though this lovely brown and tan herringbone weave linen for the challenge (purchased last fall in Quebec City), which I had bought with the plans of a Viking-Age underdress. Plans have changed just slightly, and for the challenge I’m presenting the overdress instead, in a delightful brown herringbone weave Australian wool. (I wish you could feel this wool.. it’s smooth and soft and GORGEOUS…)