Home-made drum lamp shade

A new drum shade for my pendant lantern

A new drum shade for my pendant lantern

This is another kind of simple / silly project, but I’m still really happy with it and want to show it off.

For years I’ve had a paper lantern for my hanging pendant lamp that I dyed red, but since I’m switching my room from a red & gold theme to silver & blue, I also wanted a CHEAP new lampshade.

I looked online at a bunch of places to find a pendant lamp shade, but couldn’t find anything. I was considering just going with another paper lantern from IKEA (which at $4.99 totally fits the cheap requirement) but I wanted a drum shade instead – I don’t know why… but I just thought the shape was better for the look I was going for.

Continue reading

Teal cuffs for my Byzantine costume

Collage showing my new teal Byzantine costume cuffs and matching hat

Collage showing my new teal Byzantine costume cuffs and matching hat

Back in 2016 I made a Byzantine costume for an event/competition (where I won first place in the advanced category!) and part of that was a pair of beautiful red silk cuffs.

As you read in my earlier post, when I made the teal hat, I also made a pair of teal embellished cuffs.

I was gifted this amazing teal top embellished with silver beads, sequins, and French wire… and the ONLY thing I could see in my mind’s eye for this were elements for another Byzantine accessory.

Continue reading

Teal Propoloma – The fan-shaped hat

New blog post! I made a heavily embellished teal and silver hat for my Byzantine costume wardrobe

New blog post! I made a heavily embellished teal and silver hat for my Byzantine costume wardrobe

Back in 2016 I made a Byzantine costume for an event/competition (where I won first place in the advanced category!) and part of that was a gorgeous, fun, huge fan-shaped hat called the Propoloma. My pattern was speculative, and I could see two different ways to accomplish the hat – but liked the idea of a very packable hat, especially considering how often SCA events are well out of town and require costumes that will pack up into a suitcase or duffle bag easily.

The first hat was golden, which worked well with that first costume I made (blue, with red and gold accessories) and it also worked really well with the second Byzantine costume I made too (green with gold)…

…. but then I was gifted this amazing teal top embellished with silver beads, sequins, and French wire… and the ONLY thing I could see in my mind’s eye for this was elements for another Byzantine accessory.

Continue reading

Throwback Thursday: Silver glitter corset

Close up of the glittery silver velvet

Close up of the glittery silver velvet

I’m calling this a Throwback Thursday because this is actually a corset I made a while ago (so I don’t have any work-in-progress photos either). I made this to sell, back when I was hoping to get commissions for custom work (I’m not looking to do custom work anymore).

A bit about this corset:

This overbust corset is has an outer fabric at the centre front which is made of silver applied dots over black velvet, creating a glittery effect. The remaining fabric on this corset is sturdy black cotton. The corset is lined in black cotton. This is a two-layer corset; no interlining.

Continue reading

Bails for my homemade pendants

Heart-shaped pendant, with bail

Heart-shaped pendant, with bail

In my previous post, I discussed that I made my own bails for the pendants for my necklace project. A while ago I tested out this with sheet metal (coated copper) and showed the results in this post. My silver arrived, so I used similar steps with the silver as I had done with the coated copper.

Continue reading