A while ago a friend posted in a Facebook group – asking if there were any volunteers for her Arts & Sciences project. She was looking for volunteer spinners to take a small amount of wool, and create yarn. Her plan is to look at how different types of spinning (woolen vs worsted, plied vs unplied) would impact dye take-up.
Just a quick show-off post today of some new 2-ply wool yarn I’ve spun up on the wheel I’ve been borrowing from a friend. The wool was from Shuttleworks – which is no longer in business. The wool is Romney, from the UK, in natural white.
In my last post about dyeing with apple tree bark, I showed off my finished yarn (sort of a soft mustard with a touch of peach… but in actuality I did the research first, and then did some totally different dyeing before going back to what I had researched.
I wanted the chance to dye just with apple leaves, and a chance to dye just with the bark – BUT in all of my research I got antsy… too antsy to wait for the bark to soak, and too antsy to find the alum for the leaves and do the pre-dye mordant.
We were trimming our apple trees this fall, and I thought I remembered something online about dyeing with apple tree bark. I did a super-quick search (as the branches were coming down practically) and found enough to make me want to save some of the branches for an experiment…