In an earlier post I showed off the simple black dress I made for (Kadie/Sicillia). The dress is fine as-is, but in order to make it more like the portrait she wished to emulate, I needed the cuffs and collar as well… Continue reading
In an earlier post I showed off the initial ‘muslin’ or mock-up dress I made for a friend-of-a-friend. (Kadie/Sicillia) I made the mock up in a synthetic fabric which looks and feels a lot like smooth wool suiting, but once the muslin fit well, it was time to make the dress up in the final fabric – a black wool suiting with red brocade.
As a reminder, above is the portrait we’re referencing for this costume… a portrait of Elizabeth Woodville.
The dress I’ll show today was made for someone else – a woman in the SCA living in Edmonton who I actually only met once before offering to sew a dress for her! She’s a friend of a friend, and for a special occasion needed/wanted a dress – and had been wanting a dress in the style of the Elizabeth Woodville portrait. (below)
I was hosting an A&S practice night at my place in March, and decided to make the theme “hats, hoods & headwear”. While not too many people brought out their own examples, there were certainly lots of people working on thematic items which was neat. I also decided to bring out some of my period (or attempts at period!) style hats, and at the last minute decided that this theme meant it was time to start on a Tudor hood as well, something a bit less high-class than the French Hood.