Istanbul: Accessories

Completed Istanbul outfit

Completed Istanbul outfit

To compliment my Istanbul outfit, I made a simple belt and a necklace.

Belt

I really wanted a contrasting belt, but I also wanted it fairly long…

I had a navy blue silk skirt that I was given which I cut out for the main belt fabric, and then lined it with the same pink linen as the coat – I would have done it all in silk, but there wasn’t enough fabric.

The images show a fairly wide belt with a big knot – so I think that this is a good compromise.

Necklace

Complete Tarpus with the Hirka and my necklace

Complete Tarpus with the Hirka and my necklace

Most of the images don’t show much in the way of jewelry – but I really wanted to make a necklace to go with this outfit that would “feel” right even if it’s not especially documentable.

I might do more research later into extant jewelry, but this felt like the right style…

It’s made with three large pendants from Bead Landing’s “India” line, and two packages of earrings from the same line – the small earrings are very similar in style to the pendants. I bought five pendants, but when I strung them on the chain they didn’t hang correctly.

Components to make my Istanbul-feel necklace

Components to make my Istanbul-feel necklace

 

Istanbul: Hirka

Finished Hirka (orange vest)

Finished Hirka (orange vest)

Since the majority of information I could find about Istanbul clothing from within the SCA time frame is 15th and 16th century, I decided to default and go that direction, starting with the Hirka, described from my overview as:

“Very fitted thigh-length under-jacket, worn over the Gomlek. May have wide, elbow-length sleeves, long, wrist-length sleeves, or may be sleeveless. “

I LOVED how bright and bold my Constantinople / Byzantine costume (11th century) was, and decided to take advantage of doing something outside of my regular time/place and doing something just as bright and bold.

Completed Hirka

Completed Hirka

While my fabric choices should be smooth silks and linens (and wools) I decided to tap into my stash of dupioni silk because it’s something I already have, and will print well.

I had some BRIGHT pink-shot-orange silk that I started with for the Hirka, which I decided to do sleeveless since I didn’t have a lot of the silk.

I also decided to block print it….

Continue reading