Machine embroidery – two ravens

 two ravens machine embroidered on wool

two ravens machine embroidered on wool

In early September I returned to the Maker Space that I haven’t been to since before Covid. While initially I went with the intention of finishing a laser cutter project that I started before the pandemic, once I popped my USB into my computer to look at the files – I remembered all of the machine embroidery projects that I had wanted to do. The files were done (or nearly done) but I hadn’t yet had the chance to get to the embroidery machine.

(I also did a few new designs too…)

One of the files is a pair of reflected Viking-style ravens.

Continue reading

Additional sawtooth/fantasy Viking-inspired bag handles/frames

sawtooth/fantasy Viking-inspired bag handles/frames

sawtooth/fantasy Viking-inspired bag handles/frames

While at the Maker Space in September/October 2022 I had a few things I wanted to use the laser cutter for – however they wouldn’t all fit on one piece of wood together, so I had to spread them out.  That meant that I had extra space on my wood… so I added in some of the things I’d made before, including some Viking-style bag handles.

I previously showed off the “chairback” style handles, along with the the arched bag handles. 

I also added three pairs of the “fantasy” styles into the file.  These are the ones I’ll share today.

Continue reading

Additional “chairback” Hedeby bag handles/frames

Laser cut "chairback" Hedeby-style bag handles / frames

Laser cut “chairback” Hedeby-style bag handles / frames

While at the Maker Space in September/October 2022 I had a few things I wanted to use the laser cutter for – however they wouldn’t all fit on one piece of wood together, so I had to spread them out.  However that meant that I had extra space on my wood… so rather than spending a lot of time researching and designing new projects, I really just went back to some of the files I’d already made and added them into the digital layout.

One of these projects was the Hedeby bag handles/frames I’d made before. A few days ago I blogged about the arched bag handles, made during this visit, and today I’ll share the bag handle/ frame design I’m calling “chairback” – because to me the design looks like the back of a kitchen chair.

Continue reading

Additional arched Hedeby bag handles/frames

Laser cut arched Hedeby-style bag handles / frames

Laser cut arched Hedeby-style bag handles / frames

While at the Maker Space in September/October 2022 I had a few things I wanted to use the laser cutter for – however they wouldn’t all fit on one piece of wood together, so I had to spread them out.  However that meant that I had extra space on my wood… so rather than spending a lot of time researching and designing new projects, I really just went back to some of the files I’d already made and added them into the digital layout.

One of these projects was the Hedeby bag handles/frames I’d made before.  I ended up fitting 3pairs of the rounded/arched handles, 2 pairs of the “chairback” styles, and three pairs of the “fantasy” styles into the file. I adjusted sizes as well, from my original versions which I aimed to be closer to the original finds, just to make the best use of the available wood space. Since for each of these I’ll be making the bags to fit the handles/ frames… I can work with whatever size the wood allows me.

Continue reading

Two new laser cut Viking-era horse-head combs

Laser cut and engraved birch horse-head wooden decorative combs

Laser cut and engraved birch horse-head wooden decorative combs

While at the Maker Space in September/October 2022 I had a few things I wanted to use the laser cutter for – however they wouldn’t all fit on one piece of wood together, so I had to spread them out.  However that meant that I had extra space on my wood… so rather than spending a lot of time researching and designing new projects, I really just went back to some of the files I’d already made and added them into the digital layout.

The horse-head combs I made a few years ago were one of these files. I ended up fitting two new combs onto the digital file (though I cleaned up the file a little bit to cut more smoothly) along with a few other items.  I’ll blog about those separately! Continue reading