Elizabeth Woodville portrait dress (part 3)

Dress with the cuffs, collar, and a little matching pouch

Dress with the cuffs, collar, hat, and a little matching pouch

In an earlier post I showed off the simple black dress I made for (Kadie/Sicillia). The dress is fine as-is, but in order to make it more like the portrait she wished to emulate, I needed the cuffs and collar as well… Continue reading

Elizabeth Woodville portrait dress (part 2)

Me wearing the finished dress. I'm a bit bustier than the person it's intended for, and I'm not wearing a shift under the dress

Me wearing the finished dress. I’m a bit bustier than the person it’s intended for, and I’m not wearing a shift under the dress

In an earlier post I showed off the initial ‘muslin’ or mock-up dress I made for a friend-of-a-friend. (Kadie/Sicillia) I made the mock up in a synthetic fabric which looks and feels a lot like smooth wool suiting, but once the muslin fit well, it was time to make the dress up in the final fabric – a black wool suiting with red brocade.

Direct link from Pinterest. Click for original, or the original source here.

As a reminder, above is the portrait we’re referencing for this costume… a portrait of Elizabeth Woodville.

Continue reading

Dress in the style of Elizabeth Woodville portrait

The dress I’ll show today was made for someone else – a woman in the SCA living in Edmonton who I actually only met once before offering to sew a dress for her! She’s a friend of a friend, and for a special occasion needed/wanted a dress – and had been wanting a dress in the style of the Elizabeth Woodville portrait. (below)

Direct link from Pinterest. Click for original, or the original source here.

Continue reading

Camo knit dress

Camo knit dress (selfie stick)

Camo knit dress (selfie stick)

A few days ago I posted my new snakeskin print knit dress… but it was just a mock-up for the dress I wanted to make – a camouflage dress using knit fabric.

I also downloaded Prisma for my new Samsung phone… and have been having fun with it!

camo dress close up on the lacing

camo dress close up on the lacing (another selfie-stick photo…)

The fabric was from Fabricland, originally $20/meter, but I bought it at 70% off.  It’s not a high-quality knit at all… so I wasn’t going to spend much money on it.  I bought 3 meters, but with tight piecing used about a meter to make the dress. That means I still have about 2 more meters to make something else with…..maybe a longer dress? Maybe leggings?

I made this for a special event at the end of July…. though these are the only photos I have of it so far – maybe more will come later! Follow me on Instagram where I’ll show off if I do!

Snakeskin knit dress

When I got some free fabric from a former teacher, I put this snakeskin knit into the “to make toilles with” box – it’s always nice to have some knit that I don’t really love that I can use to mock up patterns with to test fit…

But… after making some shorts and leggings (which I’ll blog about later… still need to take photos!) with it, it kind of grew on me. Not for every-day, but rather for 80s nights or theme parties… and there was a dress I wanted to make out of a similar fabric, so it was a good time to use this for the toile – a wearable toile if the pattern worked out.

Continue reading