To compliment my Istanbul outfit, I made a simple belt and a necklace.
I really wanted a contrasting belt, but I also wanted it fairly long…
I had a navy blue silk skirt that I was given which I cut out for the main belt fabric, and then lined it with the same pink linen as the coat – I would have done it all in silk, but there wasn’t enough fabric.
The images show a fairly wide belt with a big knot – so I think that this is a good compromise.
Complete Tarpus with the Hirka and my necklace
Most of the images don’t show much in the way of jewelry – but I really wanted to make a necklace to go with this outfit that would “feel” right even if it’s not especially documentable.
I might do more research later into extant jewelry, but this felt like the right style…
It’s made with three large pendants from Bead Landing’s “India” line, and two packages of earrings from the same line – the small earrings are very similar in style to the pendants. I bought five pendants, but when I strung them on the chain they didn’t hang correctly.
After starting on the Hirka, the next garment I wanted to make for my late-period Turkish costume was the Entari, described from my overview as:
“Medium-weight A or bell-shaped coat. Fitted to the waist and shaped with side gores with an overlapping front gore. Usually floor-length. Round or v-neck. Closed down the front with small buttons and loops or long frogs. Often depicted unbuttoned from neckline to chest and waist to floor. Most often with wide, elbow-length sleeves, though also shown narrow and wrist-length. Occasionally extremely long maunche-like sleeves with slits. Most often made of silk, lined in cotton. Rarely trimmed, but the inside edge was often faced with silk.”
Since my Hirka was bright orange-pink (shot fabric) lined with coral, I wanted something equally bright for my Entari. I originally planned on using the hot pink silk noil I picked up at the Grandmother’s Fabric Sale in Red Deer, but I didn’t think I had enough of it to accommodate the large side gores as well.
I opted instead to select some hot pink linen that I picked up at a different Grandmother’s Fabric Sale (I think… I might have also got it free from a former teacher). Like the Hirka, I decided to block print this as well with a similar motif.
Since the majority of information I could find about Istanbul clothing from within the SCA time frame is 15th and 16th century, I decided to default and go that direction, starting with the Hirka, described from my overview as:
“Very fitted thigh-length under-jacket, worn over the Gomlek. May have wide, elbow-length sleeves, long, wrist-length sleeves, or may be sleeveless. “
I LOVED how bright and bold my Constantinople / Byzantine costume (11th century) was, and decided to take advantage of doing something outside of my regular time/place and doing something just as bright and bold.
While my fabric choices should be smooth silks and linens (and wools) I decided to tap into my stash of dupioni silk because it’s something I already have, and will print well.
I had some BRIGHT pink-shot-orange silk that I started with for the Hirka, which I decided to do sleeveless since I didn’t have a lot of the silk.
As the local A&S (Arts & Science) champion for Montengarde (Calgary) I’m hoping to put together a few A&S related TUA classes over the year at A&S practices and taverns (and some non A&S-related classes too). The first was the Naalbinding class I mentioned previously at May Tavern, and the next is a Block Printing classwith Viscountess Morrigan on May 30th, 2016.
You do not need to be a SCA member to attend the class, being held at a private residence for A&S practice. There is no cost to attend. (However if you ARE interested in getting into the SCA, this is a nice low-key way of coming out and meeting some other people involved!)
The March 2016 Historical Sew Monthly challenge is:
Protection – make something to protect yourself (from weather or injury) or your clothes (from soiling etc.)
I missed the February challenge because I really just didn’t have the time, not to mention I only had a rough idea of what I wanted to make. Unfortunately I’m not feeling especially historically-inspired this month either. Most of what I’m sewing right now is mundane clothing which I’ve been neglecting for several months while working towards SCA costumes and projects.