Bead hangers

Finished bead hanger in the style of a 9th century Finnish Viking / Iron Age artefact

Finished bead hanger

One of the artisans in my SCA Barony offered to teach a bronze casting class in early November. His offer was to cast either an early or later-period sword pommel, but then also offered that students could cast another reasonably flat object if they wouldn’t use a pommel.

One student asked about a penannular brooch, but I had something different in mind – bead hangers in the style of a 9th century Finnish find.

Continue reading

Advertisements

Beothuk’s photos from Coronation

As mentioned in my previous post, like at Twelfth Night, I wasn’t able to take much in the way of photos at Avacal’s Coronation and the Kingdom Arts & Science Championships because I was swamped trying to do other things. Luckily, one of the local photographers (Beothuk)took MANY amazing photos, and published them publicly online.

All photos are direct links from his Flickr feed – if he removes them, they’ll break here. All copyright his.

My Finnish Iron Age costume

I opted to wear my Finnish Iron Age costume for my presentation (using my early attempts at the coil-embellished apron and necklace while the updated, more accurate versions were on display for the judges to touch and feel). For Court in the evening though, I swapped out and wore the updated versions. Beothuk got a few photos  (I didn’t get any!)
20160213-DSC_8836//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js
Court was pretty much hilarious all the way through – I don’t think that there was a single time I wasn’t laughing.

Continue reading

Beothuk’s photos of my K A&S entries

Like at Twelfth Night, I wasn’t able to take much in the way of photos at Avacal’s Coronation and the Kingdom Arts & Science Championships because I was swamped trying to do other things. Luckily, one of the local photographers (Beothuk)took MANY amazing photos, and published them publicly online.

All photos are direct links from his Flickr feed – if he removes them, they’ll break here. All copyright his.

My Kingdom A&S Championship display

Working behind my table on the blue Finnish hat on the table. Super-focused on coils while my trichinopoly is in the foreground.
20160213-DSC_8447//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

Continue reading

Avacal Arts & Science Championship

Finished pair of nålbinding mittens

Finished pair of nålbound mittens

I’m super-excited to share some really happy news – the recent posts I shared were all leading up to a really big announcement:

I won Avacal (my SCA Kingdom)’s Arts & Science Championship!

Continue reading

Finnish coil-embellished apron (part 5: grid motif)

Completed grid ornament (small). It's about 2cm long

Completed grid ornament (small). It’s about 2cm long

In my previous post I showed off the corner fan-shaped motifs for my coil-embellished apron. Today I’ll show how I made the grid motifs which are a square or diamond (depends on if they’re displayed on point or not).

Small ornament

Divided and undivided strips of coils

Divided and undivided strips of coils

The grid-style ornaments start out by stretching out divided sections of coils. More about that in my previous post about finishing coils. I used the small-diameter coils for this work. The original extant aprons and mantles used more than one size of coil for embellishment.

The small grid ornament took eight strips of five coil bundles, and four small coil pieces.

The small division areas work to line up the coil strips and let me thread the linen yarn through the coils to fix them together. (below) I used a double strand of linen yarn, and left a long tail at the beginning of the work.

 

Lining up the stretched-out coils and matching them up

Lining up the stretched-out coils and matching them up

In the extant photos of coil ornaments, the little crosses are visible between the coil bundles, showing that this is how they were made.

Stringing on the coil strips

Stringing on the coil strips

After threading the coils into shape, I went through and smoothed the edges of the coil strips. I found this hard to do when the coils were loose, without distorting the coils, but once they were strung up this was much easier.

Just going through in one direction makes the ornament a bit `floppy`, so I also went back and went through the grid in both directions. This results in quite a sturdy ornament. I also finished the corners with small coil sections.

Completed grid ornament (small). It's about 2cm long

Completed grid ornament (small). It’s about 2cm long

I left the working yarns on the ornament after weaving them through the coils to attach the spiral motif to the apron.

Large ornament

The large square/diamond grid ornament was made in the same manner, except I used 14 strips of coils 8-bundles long. (Below)

Large coil ornament being placed in the middle of the apron

Large coil ornament being placed in the middle of the apron