Lace wireframe crown

Finished lace wireframe crown

Finished lace wireframe crown

I have a masquerade party coming, and I have a certain costume idea in mind… not sure that I’ll actually accomplish it in the long run, but part of the idea included a lace crown/tiara. I wasn’t quite sure how I’d pull it together… so this was a bit of trial-and-error. Continue reading

Advertisements

Fashion (visual kei) masks

Black PVC mask (iPad photo)

Black PVC mask (iPad photo)

I saw some great photos of cool Visual kei/J-rock masks, and wanted to make one for myself as well. I though I could develop my own pattern, but decided to give a whirl and see if anyone had made one of their own and published the pattern – I was in luck! I decided to give a few of them a try.

Continue reading

First French Hood – June HSF

First French Hood, side view

First French Hood, side view

I’ve been thinking of a Tudor -era costume for a while, and like the 1480’s Italian… I’ve started with the headwear! (It’s probably note-worthy that my head is quite a bit bigger than my foam headform… so it looks a bit different on me.)

Although when I started the headwear, I didn’t have a dress designed, I have a number of fabrics I’ve collected for this project, and I imagine a very gothic style… the fabrics are silver/grey, black, blue, and red. Not surprising, these are the same colours I’ve based a lot of my costumes on so far…

When the Tudor Tailor had a bunch of their patterns on sale, I purchased the Hoods pattern (along with a few others). This was unfortunately RIGHT before they completely re-did their Hoods pattern, but I still like the original and wanted to make up a French Hood. (I think the Gabled hoods look neat, but the French Hood is so much more my style, and I think would look more attractive on me (and my wide face).

I cut the pattern pieces for the base and the crescent from two layers of millinery buckram, wired both with millinery wire (using buttonhole twist) and mulled both with thin cotton batting (I don’t have domet/domette, and in the past have used the batting successfully.

I raided my small silks boxes (doesn’t everyone have a stash of small pieces of silk? LOL) and pulled a crisp red (probably habotai in lue of taffeta) silk for the crescent, and a black silk satin for the base. I realize that the base should have probably been lined in linen, but the fit was so nice, that I figured I’d stick with the silk so that it would be kind to my hair (and so that the ends by my cheeks would look nice).

Continue reading

Millinery: Spiderweb fascinator

You might remember the red tricorn mini-hat I made a while back.  This fascinator uses the same red silk and black spiderweb lace (actually some of the scraps left over from that hat!) but is distinctly different (and was a LOT faster to make!).

This fascinator started with just a simple circle of buckram, sliced to make a gentle cone. I trimmed the buckram with wire with hand stitches (like many of the other hand-made hats I’ve made recently.  Check the Millinery tag for a few more photos and instructions.) and then covered the outside with red silk, and the inside with grey wool felt (yardage this time, not part of a felt hood). Both the silk and wool were seamed to get the shape of the gentle cone.

Red and black spiderweb lace fascinator

Red and black spiderweb lace fascinator

From there I covered the red silk with the black spiderweb lace. Since lace has a slight stretch, I didn’t need to seam it to get the shape. From there I bound the edge with black grosgrain ribbon.

Continue reading