Witch Hat Wednesday

Out for a physically-distanced Pokemon Go walk with friends in my witchy hat with ear flaps

Out for a physically-distanced Pokemon Go walk with friends in my witchy hat with ear flaps

This hat was entirely on a whim after watching the ASMR-esqe Bernadette Banner’s Winter Witch Hat video. There was something about the finished version that just made me so frivolously happy that I knew I wanted one for myself. Of course it was right before super-depressing Halloween which might have had a lot to do with wanting to indulge some frivolity.

Continue reading

New veil & my very late entry into the Historical Sew Monthly January challenge

I’ve gotten a lot of wear out of the veil I made to go with my Byzantine outfit in January 2016, but I noticed that it had stained lightly with wet, freshly dyed hair… so when I was washing fabric for the fourth version of my horned hennin, I decided to wash up enough linen to cut a new veil as well.

Marking linen for a half-circle veil. This linen is not as sheer or light as my previous veil.

Marking linen for a half-circle veil.

Based on Fabrics-Store’s linen, I’d estimate this around 3-4 oz/yd, though I bought it from a different seller who doesn’t note the weight of the fabric. My previous veil used 2.8 oz/yd linen from Fabrics-Store.

I folded the fabric in half, and marked out 71cm from the centre in an arch to make a quarter-circle on the fold – to make a new half-circle veil (the shape I find attractive and versatile).

My previous veil was entirely hand-hemmed… but I didn’t really feel like spending that kind of time on this one. I ended up doing a stitch, turn and press, turn and press and stitch on it by machine instead.

I did add the same embroidered “L” to one of the corners like I did on my last veil though…

The result is a heavier veil than the other one I have – I think it will work well for styles where I wear it under another hat (like my Byzantine costume) but I don’t think it works well on the soft collapsible horned hennins that I made. So… for that – I’ll be making another 2.8 oz white linen veil instead!

 

The Challenge: January 2020Timetravelling Garments: Create an item that works for more than one historical era, or that can be used for both historical costuming, and modern wear. It could be an apron that could do 1770s or 1860s in a pinch, a shift that can work under many decades of fashion, or a historical cape you also wear everyday, etc.

I am getting to the 2020 Historical Sew Monthly challenges EXTREMELY late, but this project suits this theme, so I’m calling it good. I’ll be able to wear this veil through several different costume projects – my Byzantine and 15th Century costumes specifically.

Material: 100% linen

Pattern: 1/2 circle, marked directly on fabric

Year: generic medieval – suitable for my 11-15th century costuming

Notions: thread

How historically accurate is it? The shape seems to suit many paintings and illuminations. The construction is entirely by sewing machine.

Hours to complete: About 10 minutes to cut, another 45 to hem and embroider.

First worn: not yet

Total cost: The linen was on a great sale for $4.95/yard (USA site plus shipping)  and this veil took just under a meters, but the leftover bits from the half-circle being cut out went into making my fourth version of a horned hennin.

Bamboo silk rope

RedGreenSilkBambooRope7

Handmade bamboo-silk rope

I’ve been loving the belts, harnesses, and other accessories from Creations by Magi on Instagram lately. Unfortunately, they’re well out of my price range, so I figured I’d try making one of my own. I can’t find the right kind of cord, so instead I was inspired by my friends at HavenKink, who make gorgeous hand-made ropes.

Continue reading

Courtesy masks

A huge order of 18 adult-sized fabric courtesy masks and 3 child-sized mask for a good friend of mine

A huge order of 18 adult-sized fabric courtesy masks and 3 child-sized mask for a good friend of mine

Like so many people during the covid-19 crisis, I was laid off in March. Unlike so many – I haven’t been making sourdough bread (yet!) but I have been making courtesy masks. I started off with a number of different possible patterns – trying five different ones out, and finally settling on two patterns that I merged together and altered to give more room between my lips and the fabric.

This was the best design for both my housemate and myself, and I had a good supply of round elastic cord for ear-loops. I also tried ties, but ultimately with long hair… I hated them for me. Others seem to like them which is awesome though, and they’re definitely more adjustable for a variety of faces/heads.

Once I made five for her (two shaped, and three of the pleated style which she also really liked) and five for myself (all shaped) I posted them on Facebook and I had a friend ask if I’d be willing to make some for her as well… and then another… and another… and another…

Continue reading

Oseberg-inspired Viking bag handles

Bag handle for a Viking-inspired Hedeby - style bag inspired by the Oseberg ship burial.

Bag handle for a Viking-inspired Hedeby – style bag inspired by the Oseberg ship burial.

I loved the Hedeby-inspired bag hangers/handles I made on the Maker Space laser cutter so much, that I wanted to try my hand at another set as well… though rather than going to the Birka style directly, I decided to merge the sawtooth style with… something a little different.

Continue reading