Design a medallion!
Rose appliqué on the bag I made
Have you noticed – the only Montengarde champion who doesn’t have a pretty medallion is our A&S Champion?
Would you like to design a medallion for future champions to wear – and for others to admire?
This challenge is open to all artisans, working in any suitable medium. Prepare a design in any format that suits your needs (sketch, schematic, CAD, etc) that will represent the kind of medallion you would be able to make for future A&S champions. You may also include photographs of previous work, mock-ups, samples, etc – anything you need to get your idea across. You will have a small display space; a large presentation is not required. No documentation is needed beyond the required entry elements. You will not need to personally present your ideas to the judges – though they may ask you personally for more information.
- Medium must be durable – enough to be worn by multiple champions over the years with due care and appreciation of your work.
- Design can reflect the title of our A&S champion. This is currently “Emerald Rose” but will likely be changing to “Emerald Flower” or “Emerald Blossom” shortly. It does not have to reflect the title, but this might guide your design.
- Your entry must include:
- Your society name, and contact information
- A time frame of when you could complete the medallion if your design is the winner
- A cost for creating the medallion
- Description of your design including size, materials proposed, etc.
Appliqued flower on a green wool apron panel
In a fun reversal… the competitors vying to BE the next A&S champion will be judging the medallion design they love the best. With this in mind, it might be a good idea to chat with past and future champions for ideas regarding materials, colour, size, weight, etc…
Judges will be asked to excuse themselves from judging if there is a significant conflict. (Spouse, Laurel/Apprentice, etc)
In the chance that all entrants need to excuse themselves, I reserve the right to select a judge from event guests.
- All SCA members and non-members may enter
- Participants can be from anywhere in Avacal; not just Montengarde
- Youth are welcome to enter WITH their parent/guardian who should supervise the process, and should be prepared to supervise youth should their design be selected in the completion of the medallion to meet timeline and budget.
- Group submissions are welcome AND encouraged! Share your skills with one another!
- Entrants vying to be Montengarde’s A&S Champion are eligible to enter to design the medallion, but must excuse themselves from judging.
- Distance entries are welcome – please send your proposal with a trusted friend who might be able to answer questions if needed, if you are unable to attend the event.
This competition will take place at Twelfth Night in Montengarde.
Town & Country Centre
#103 275 Jensen Dr NE,
January 22, 2017
Schedule is currently unknown. It is my intention to set up a display space first thing in the morning to show off your work throughout the day, have judges select the winner, and allow you to pick up your display before feast begins. Please check the schedule at: https://sites.google.com/site/montengardetwelfthnight2017/schedule for more information closer to the event date.